Steely Dan-Can't Buy A Thrill (1972)


 

Artist: Steely Dan

Title: Can't Buy A Thrill

Label: MCA Records

Format: Cassette

Catalog Number: MCAC-1591

Year of Release: 1972

Country and Year of Edition: US 1980's

Sell Price: $8.55

Sell Date: 9/20/26

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 3/1/26 M/M $19.99

Low: $3.00

Median: $8.00

Average: $9.17

High: $19.99

Current low price: $9.99 VG+/NM

Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 1

Have/Want: 103/248

Where Sold:Aventura, FL

Time It Took To Sell: 3 years

Where and When Bought: Facebook marketplace lot

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

I've always thought Steely Dan's debut Can't Buy A Thrill was an A level record primarily on the strength of the three radio hits: "Do It Again," "Reelin' In The Years" and "Dirty Work."   Of the rest, the standouts for me are "Fire In The Hole" and "Midnight Cruiser."  "Change Of The Guard" sounds like a blend of Motown and studio session rock.

Of the hits, "Do It Again" I had as a kid on the FM Soundtrack.  I always liked that long track best out of everything here.  There is something about it that makes me think late night automatically.  I guess that's why when I woke up at 3AM this morning and couldn't fall back asleep, I decided to put on the headphones and listen to the tape a couple times and catch up on the deep cuts after listening to it first thing in the morning yesterday after the tape sold overnight.  For a band preciously known to audiophiles, listening to this in headphones on cassette tape seems like an odd choice, but I wanted a little volume at 4am and not review from a laptop stream with ads.  This tape sounds just fine.  It did it's job after two full plays I am tired and want to go to bed.

David Palmer  joined the band late in the lead vocal by committee sessions.  Seems Donald Fagan was hoping this would be a studio band instead of a touring one.  Session players like The Skunk aka  Doobie Brother Jeff Baxter and backup vocal legend Clydie King are on the album.

Time to turn that heartbeat over again.

FOR FURTHER REVIEW:

Countdown To Ecstasy (1973)

Pretzel Logic (1974)

Two Against Nature (2000)

Donald Fagan-The Nightfly (1983)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Lyres-Happy Now... (1993)