Black Sabbath-Paranoid (1970)

 


Artist: Black Sabbath

Title: Paranoid

Label: Warner Bros.

Format: 8-Track Quadrophonic

Catalog Number: WB L9W 1887

Year of Release: 1970

Country and Year of Edition: US 1974

Sell Price: $110.00

Sell Date: 8/13/26

Condition: VG/G+

Discogs Last Sold: 12/7/25 VG+/no cover $39.00

Low: $36.00

Median: $39.00

Average: $61.67

High: $110.00

Current low price: n/a

Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 0

Have/Want: 8/163

Where Sold: Rancho Cordova, CA

Time It Took To Sell:  2 years

Where and When Bought: eBay 8-track lot

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: Yes

I'm keeping with the Saturday tradition, we have a Black Sabbath sale to discuss.  When I got this Paranoid Quad 8-track in a lot, I was tempted to find a Quad 8-track player, fantasizing that I could get a combo quad turntable/8-track under $100 and get my oversized speakers finally out of Kenny's storage space after all these years, but they all run around $250 for the component plus I'd have to get a quad receiver, a couple more speakers.  All that to hear Paranoid properly in it's 1974 mix by Mike Butcher, who was the co-producer of Sabotage with Tony Iommi.  A man can dream.   If I was gonna put down all that money, I might as well do it for a surround sound system, not trying to find the one quad 8-track player that works.  The nightmare of buying about 8 cheap 8-track players before finding a good recommended one that has had to be reserviced twice in good old stereo is enough old tech for me.  I will have to be consoled by the fold-down mixes you can hear on the web of the Rhino issued Quadro series.  It isn't a consolation at all.

I did listen to it "improperly" the best I could, when I got it to know that it works start to finish, but that means all you hear are two of the four channels.  There is the cool aspect to it that "War Pigs" doesn't speed up at the end.  Julian Cope wrote a good article about this track by track in far more detailed fashion than I ever could since I don't have the setup.  And even if I did, in my mind seconding his opinion is not an abdication of editorial duty.  When someone articulates your sentiments exactly better than you ever could, it is fine to just point to the learned source.

I don't do "or best offer" on Discogs since I cut flagged prices over time.  I opened at $250 and someone shot me a note that I didn't "know the market."  When you have the only copy on Discogs, you ARE the market!  Rather than argue, I let the price drop and the offer came to me.  The last one to sell was only $39 and the 8-track came down to $125 and got reduced to around $118 and change with slow week blanket reductions, when a buyer asked if I would sell for $100.  At first, I ignored him.  My fantasy of having my own Quad system still in my inner fantasy land and I knew I would never see this again.  However, he bought the 8-track and had a few prior sales and again asked a few days later if I could take the price down, so I offered $110, which he took.  I still feel a little bad about it, but not getting $250 or even selling this as all makes me pause.  The deed was done, I took out my fairly recently auction purchased lime green clean copy record that was a RCA Record Club issue (!) and consoled myself with listening to that.

Some keep the Sabbath, indeed!

FOR FURTHER REVIEW:

Black Sabbath-Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (2006)

Black Sabbath-Past Lives (2002)

Black Sabbath-Heaven & Hell (1980)

Black Sabbath-Mob Rules (1981)

Black Sabbath-Dehumanizer (1992)

Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Ozz (1980)

Ozzy Osbourne-Live Mr. Crowley (1982)

Ozzy Osbourne-Ozzmosis (1995)

Various Artists-Nativity In Black: A Tribute To Black Sabbath (1994)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Big Black-The Incredibly Corporate Whorish Big Black Interview Album (1987)