Ozzy Osbourne-Ozzmosis (1995)


 

Artist: Ozzy Osbourne

Title: Ozzmosis

Label: Epic

Format: CD

Cat: EK 67091

Year of Release: 1995

Country and Year of Edition: US 1995

Sell Price: $2.99 VG+/VG+ 3/14/23

Discogs Last Sold: 2/25/23 NM/VG+ $4.99

Low:$0.99

Median: $3.00

Average: $7.53

High: $69.00 autographed

Current low price: $1.64

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 56

Have/Want: 1462/92

Where Sold: Winchester, KY

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When  used mid 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Ozzmosis was the first Ozzy record I bought since Bark At The Moon more than a decade before and it held up pretty well coming off  the heels of grunge.  The production was by Michael Beinhorn of Bill Laswell's Material. He plays keyboards on here and Rick Wakeman plays Mellotron on the opening "Perry Mason" and "I Still Want You. The bass playing was Geezer Butler, so perhaps more Black Sabbath than Black Sabbath in 2002, unless, like me, you think Tony Iommi is the most important member. Zakk Wylde was the guitarist. Later era Journey drummer Deen Castronuovo flipped a harder switch.

For me the best song on the album was the Geezer penned "Thunder Underground."  The Geeze wrote another song on the album:"My Jeckyl Doesn't Hyde."  But really, upon relistening for the first time in a while, there isn't really a bad song on the album.  The hits were the Lemmy penned power ballad  "See You On The Other Side" and the opening ode to modernity "Perry Mason."  Ozzy's power ballads were always had an Ozzy stamp with soaring verses ever since "Goodbye To Romance" or "Tonight" so they aren't particularly offensive.  "Tomorrow" and "Ghost Behind My Eyes" is a good example of this, I like that latter one quite a bit.

Although Ozzmosis was double platinum by 1999, it isn't considered in high esteem by anyone I know.  That said, I enjoyed Ozzy for the first time in 10 years right, before one of the endless Black Sabbath reformation tours I witnessed, sometimes multiple times an outing.  My first arena experience was Ozzy on the Speak Of The Devil tour in Worcester right before I turned 13.  The last time I saw Ozzy was in Brooklyn on the last Sabbath run, and the last solo set was at Giants Stadium before Sabbath on the Ozzfest 1997.

I mean, it's fuckin' Ozzy, right?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)