D.R.I.-Dirty Rotten LP (1983)

Artist: D.R.I.

Title: Dirty Rotten LP

Label: R Radical Records

Format: LP

Cat: DRR 1983

Year of Release: 1983

Country and Year of Edition: US 1983 LP Reissue

Date of Sale: 9/16/23

Sell Price: $21.09 bought in 80's R Radical edition in shink no insert

Condition: VG+/VG+ 

Discogs Last Sold: 1/23/23 G+/VG $20.00

Low: $9.99

Median: $33.45

Average: $36.00

High: $74.99 in shrink with insert

Current low price: $31.91

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 9

Have/Want: 335/196

Where Sold: Charlotte, NC

Time It Took To Sell:  8  years

Where and When Bought: Newbury Comics mid 80's $7.99 sticker still on it

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:  A-

Sad To See It Go: No

"Fuck the system/they can't have me/I Don't Need Society..."

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles are in their purest hardcore state on their debut 22-song ep.  All thrash all the time with many classics.   The best is "I Don't Need Society" which they crossover metaled up on their second LP Dealing With It.

I always considered this an elite record of the genre, but I have to say after playing it a couple times all the way through I didn't want to hear it a third.  The songs and moment I cared about were still great.  The parts I forgot about weren't making me say "Oh Shit! I forgot about that!!"

So the best of the rest: The opener, "Sad To Be" has is the epic of the album at 2:14 when most of these songs are lucky to hit thirty seconds.  Their 45 second theme song "Who Am I?"...D.R.I. of course! "You buy! buy! buy! all day long!" rants "Capitalist Suck."  "I stayed at home today!  And I'm not going back to work" intros "Money Stinks."  The city too!

While crossing over seemed like sacrilege, it made a lot of sense.  There wasn't any point in repeating this, it wasn't going to be topped in terms of general catchphrase complaining.  It might've been false anarchy but it seems from the heart.  By the time I got around to seeing DRI in 1988 on the Four of a Kind tour they were a touring machine that attracted the most violent stage diving from all directions show I had ever seen in Boston.  This topped the triple pit evolve from a  prison yard I saw the year before at Suicidal Tendencies.  Unfortunately around a decade later I saw them at Tramps in NYC and it was sapped of any danger from band, audience or everything.   It was soft nostalgia and not particularly good.   I haven't seen them since, but some form of DRI is on the road to this day.  Maybe if I check in I'll be surprised.

Fuck the system, they can't have me!




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)