Flipper-Gone Fishin' (1984)


 

Artist: Flipper

Title: Gone Fishin'

Label: Subterranean

Format:  LP

Cat  SUB 42

Year of Release: 1984

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1984 original with inner sleeve, peel off water damage bottom right corner

Listed Condition: VG+/F

Sell Date: 5/26/22

Sell Price: $24.99

Discogs Last Sold: 5/16/22 NM/VG+ $32.99

Low: $9.99 VG/VG+ 7/11/19

Median: $28.00

Average: $29.39

High:$48.92 NM/NM 8/7/21

Current low price:$29.11 NM/no cover, $30.00 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:12

Have/Want: 1043/457

Where Sold: Stoney Beach, MD

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: Al Bums Worcester used $3.99 1985

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

I actually found a used copy of this before getting a new copy of the Generic Album the same year, having mail ordered the Subterranean singles shortly after getting the life altering Let Them Eat Jellybeans compilation that opened with "Ha Ha Ha."  When I bought this is was a very nice clean copy but sadly storage flooding made the cover water damaged with peel off, so this formerly nice copy sold below the median at $24.99.  None of my Flipper album covers survived my storage space unscathed up against a windowed wall.  I'm guessing Hurricane Sandy had something to do with it, but I didn't discover the damage until a few years after that.  The formerly mint F/G/H alphabetized box had some severe casualties.  None was bigger than my Flipper collection, yet over the years each and every one sold for slightly below the median rate.  Maybe some people had good covers and trashed vinyl they wanted to swap out, or maybe they just wanted the music on vinyl at a discount.

Gone Fishin' I thought was a little "soft" and "slow" when I first heard it compared to the singles, but I grew to like this one maybe even more than the debut.  Maybe.  Three songs stood out then--the side openers "The Light, The Sound The Rhythm" and "Sacrifice" which was also on the formative Not So Quiet On The Western Front compilation.  The other was the side one closer "Survivors Of The Plague."  Any of these 3 cuts are contenders for my favorite track of the record if not the bands entire catalog.   That leaves 5 songs that I glossed over for me to contemplate.

"First The Heart" has a no wave feel complete with saxophone from Kirk Charles Heydt also known as Tin Whiskers by everyone it seems but me.  Kirk was in the Pop O Pies also know as Joe Pop O Pies who were know for classics like "The Catholics Are Attacking" and a cover of the Dead's "Truckin'."  "In Life My Friends" I seem to remember a live version from Blow'n Chunks more than this version. 

The post-Sacrifice side two has a thematic sequels "Talk's Cheap" comes after "Life Is Cheap." "You Nought Me" has a rapid fire vocal that I remember from listens of yore with a wash of chaotic noise. "One By One" closes the album in obliterating fashion.   

"Each moment/Each road/Every wall/All prisons/Every bank/Shall cease to exist"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)