Dio-The Last In Line (1984)


 

Artist: Dio

Title: The Last In Line

Label: Warner Bros.

Format: CD

Cat #: 9 25100-2

Year of Release: 1984

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 80's CD issue

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 3/21/22

Sell Price: $5.99

Discogs Last Sold: 12/30/21 $4.40

Low: $4.00

Median: $5.75

Average: $6.61

High: $14.95

Current low price: $3.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 18

Have/Want: 1058/114

Where Sold: Lancaster, OH

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: record club?

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

"We're all born upon the cross..."-The Last In Line

The final Dio album I liked, The Last In Line capped off a near-flawless run of Rainbow, Sabbath and Holy Diver.  I actually waited for tickets for hours on a freezing cold January morning to get my tickets for this tour when it hit Worcester the summer of '84 with Twisted Sister opening.  One thing I remember was the lights came on after one encore song ("Mob Rules") and the WAAF concert recreation played the opening track "We Rock" at the end.  I'm certain that song was never played because the concert seemed cut short and I hung around a bit as the arena cleared out thinking Dio was gonna come back on.  If he did, it was after the arena including me cleared out.

The title track was the song of the album and "Mystery" was the other Rock radio hit.  Side two flagged a bit for me.  The track that stuck in my head all these years outside of the hits were "Breathless" and the closer "Egypt (The Chains Were On)."  "One Night In The City" doesn't sound that far removed from Nick Gilder.  Oddly enough "I Speed At Night" I totally forgot about even though it rocks close to one of the bands finest  "Stand Up And Shout."  Maybe the problem was the formula was starting to show.  Keyboards via the newly added Claude Schnell were coming into the band and the next album, Sacred Heart was a disaster.  It would be the last I would purchase.  Upon further review, I'm  liking "Evil Eyes."  Evil! EVIL!

I remember as a later teen being disturbed seeing a 40something Worcester townie wearing a Last In Line tour shirt out in the sticks near where my Dad was living.  The very same one I bought several years before.  It seemed oddly unnatural, although I am much older now than that guy was then.  This was blue collar music, the low com denom.  There was no room for deviation.

Seems quaint nowadays.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)