The Cult-Sonic Temple (1989)


Artist: The Cult

Title: Sonic Temple

Label: Sire

Format: CD

Cat #: W2 25871

Year of Release: 1989

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1989 Columbia House

Sold Price: $3.99

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 10/8/20

Discogs Last Sold: 8/5/20 $3.06 VG+/VG+

Low: $1.50

Median: $3.00

High: $4.09

Current low price:  $2.50 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 14

Have/Want: 250/42

Where Sold: Bellingham, WA

Time it took to sell: 9 years

Where and When Bought: given away

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go?: No

"You look like you need a hug" said Ian Astbury to The Reverse Collector (TM) in the backstage area of the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair, NJ.  I had won tickets and my photographer friend I went to the show with had a backstage pass, and perhaps backstage at The Cult was the last place I wanted to be.  In 2016, this was the first and only time I've ever seen The Cult.  They were a curio in my mind since my friend Kenny went in Brooklyn the year before and said they were good.

I told Ian I played the Southern Death Cult regularly on my radio show, which I can't fully remember to be true.  I was really into "She Sells Sanctuary" and bought Love brand new when it came out.  We actually had a good music chat and Ian was a nice guy, into having interesting people in for a chat as their guitarist was making time with some hot blonde.  I seem to remember a water bottle, working out and his wife as points of conversation.  Mundane stuff, but friendly.

I was also a fan of Electric upon release, but for some reason I soured on it and sold the CD way back in the late 80's around the time Sonic Temple came out.  I really don't know why, but by this time I just had turned on The Cult and ignored them completely by the end of the 80's.

This copy of Sonic Temple came into my possession the same way the Suede CD reviewed last week did: from the old roommates spring cleaning purge.  I listened to the album on my hard drive and was more familiar with the opener "Sun King" that the two hits "Fire Woman" and "Edie."  I find it amazing that this was the highest Billboard charting, lone top 10 Cult album, but there you go.

A start to finish listen on the 11 tracks was a bit rough for me.  The midtempo rock songs had my mind drifting in and out and I never really liked the hits.  But, I did note that the album sounded good in terms of an 80's rock recording,  coming out of the decade without a shitty drum sound or annoying synths.

I never got nor wanted that hug.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)