Scorpions-Blackout (1982)
Artist: Scorpions
Title: Blackout
Label: Mercury
Sell Date: 8/5/26
Condition: VG+/VG+
Discogs Last Sold: 7/25/26 NM/NM $5.99
Low: $4.00
Median: $7.49
Average: $8.02
High: $12.89
Current low price: $8.00
Curren Number on Sale at Discogs: 6
Have/Want: 397/99
Where Sold: Houston, TX
Time It Took To Sell: 3 years
Where and When Bought: Facebook lot
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-
Sad To See It Go: No
Certainly the best album of the Scorpions Mercury years, Blackout the album is a teutonic titanic 80's metal album, on par with anything put out in 1982 in that realm. Up there with Screaming For Vengence and The Number of The Beast for sure as career defining albums.
The first side however captures the whole breadth of style within their rockers and ballad format that made them so popular. Everybody loves Klaus Meine and his voice which can cut through steel. That they were German only added to the authority. Rudolf Schenker and Matthais Jabs chug and solo away while Francis Bucholz and Hermann Rarebell keep it moving forward. Gotta be rock! as the side one closer n-n-n-n-"Now!" implores.
Side 2 kicks off well with "Dynomite." The night will be a special one and they will make you feel alright. I always thought from my teen years that the rest of the side trailed off a bit. It's a bit of a wind down after the great first side and "Dynomite." "Arizona" actually has a video I never saw until today and I guess I remember that indecipherable chorus "she got me high and lo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooose, loooo-oooh-oooh-oooh-oooose" which I seemed to remember after all. "China White" is a little ponderous, but you could make an argument that is one of the heaviest tracks on the record. The closer, "When The Smoke Is Coming Down" is one of the live staples of the record. It's a dramatic closer that is another slow one.
It's up to yoooooooouuuuuu!
FOR FURTHER REVIEW:

Comments
Post a Comment