The Verve-Urban Hymns (1997)
Artist: The Verve
Title: Urban Hymns
Label: Virgin/Hut Recordings
Sell Price:$2.94
Sell Date: 7/5/26
Condition: VG+/VG+ drill cut in spine
Discogs Last Sold: 6/16/26 VG/VG $1.98
Low: $1.00
Median: $2.95
Average: $3.26
High: $8.49
Current low price: $0.89
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 71
Have/Want: 3314/256
Where Sold: Robertsdale, AL
Time It Took To Sell: 11 years
Where and When Bought: used NYC Year of release
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-
Sad To See It Go: No
One of the rare Brit-pop records I bought without some critics list pointing me there. It might be my favorite of the genre or at least tied with Pulp's Different Class. The hit "Bitter Sweet Symphony" I still enjoy, multiple times even. I always thought "The Drugs Don't Work" was a non-hit deep cut that I liked as a standout, but there is a video clip for it, although I don't remember ever seeing it the way Richard Ashcroft's visual march down a city street bumping into people was easily recalled. At least the stroll, I kind've forgot about the bumping.
Probably my favorite thing about the Verve is the guitars reign without being saturated and with the exception of the famous stringed sample of the Andrew Oldham Orchestra doing "The Last Time" that cost publishing rights to the band, we have here a loud rock band with an occasional unobtrusive overlay like the strings and keyboards on Drugs. That Simon Tong plays guitar AND keyboards says something here. Although it seems like there is a kinship to establishment era U2 around The Joshua Tree, Urban Hymns is a little tougher and without the grandstanding.
Amazing the pop infrastructure supported this for a time.
FOR FURTHER REVIEW:

Comments
Post a Comment