Poster Children-Daisychain Reaction (1991)
Artist: Poster Children
Title: Daisychain Reaction
Label: Twin/Tone
Format: CD
Cat #: TTR 89205-2
Year of Release: 1991
Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1991
Listed Condition: VG+/not graded
Sell Date: 10/24/25
Sell Price: $4.28
Discogs Last Sold: 10/21/25 VG+/VG $2.26
Low: $2.00
Median: $4.55
Average: $4.79
High: $10.34
Current low price: $1.95 VG+/NM
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13
Have/Want: 200/25
Where Sold: Brooklyn, NY
Time it took to sell: 15 years
Where and When Bought: new mail order 1991
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+
Sad To See It Go: No
I think Daisychain Reaction was one of the only records ever to be sold to me by MTV. There was a clip of them on MTV News playing somewhere in a club and I thought they sounded good and tracked down the album. This was before Dave Kendall had a segment with them on 120 Minutes, but maybe even the same week using the same footage. I'm pretty sure the song I liked to that degree was "Cancer." It has a jaunty relentless quality that separates the track from everything else on the album. It's possible the narrative in my head isn't right because I was a Sub Pop single of the month subscriber and they had one October 1990 before this album, so maybe it was just a quest for that song that I never heard before.
Another standout track was the one that became a video, "If You See Kay" (get it? yuk yuk yuk) and the close to title track "Chain Reaction" I remembered well after not hearing it a few decades. After a few listens "Space Gun" stands out for me as well this time. Black and white and red! "Carver's" is another one that made my ears perk up on the third listen. The refrains sneak up on you. The rest of the record is likeable early 90's Midwest College Rock (courtesy of University of Illinois-Urbana aka "The Champagne Sound"). So, yeah in hindsight it sounds like second tier Smashing Pumpkins or Nirvana, but at the time they seemed fresh or at least good to me.
After Poster Children moved on to Sire the band was less appealing and ignored by me, even though a promo of Junior Children from 1995 found its way onto my CD shelf somehow. After listening to this Scrawl and the Action Swingers this week, there is a part of me that can't believe I ate this shit up in 1991 as much as I did at the time, but I still find this album B+ pleasant and still like hearing the songs I liked the most. Sire actually reissued this a year later in 1992 for mass consumption and an indie called Lotuspool did a vinyl edition in 2016, so this had some legs.
Your days will be numbered and you will be numbered a scarlet tattoo on the arm....

Comments
Post a Comment