REO Speedwagon-You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish (1978)
Artist: REO Speedwagon
Catalog Number: JE 35082
Year of Release: 1978
Country and Year of Edition: US 1978 Terre Haute Pressing
Sell Price: $15.04
Sell Date: 10/4/24
Condition: VG/VG
Discogs Last Sold 10/4/24 VG/VG+ $6.95
Low: $2.00
Median: $8.25
Average: $8.76
High: $24.99
Current low price: $4.40
Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 20
Have/Want: 929/54
Where Sold: White Cloud, MI
Time It Took To Sell: 10 months
Where and When Bought: facebook $3 lp lot
Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+
Sad To See It Go: No
I don't know what is more shocking--that I sold this used bin stalwart for $15 or that I actually enjoyed the record start to finish. REO Partyo all the way, kicks off with the 2 AOR hits "Roll With The Changes" and "Time For Me To Fly." I cranked it up.
Somehow I never bought this album in my AOR used bin Jr. High years. If I had, I might have enjoyed it even more. However, the lack of familiarity after that one two combo meant I could enjoy the record. In it's day, this went gold on it's own steam and hit the platinum mark a couple years later before the 1981 juggernaut that was Hi Infidelity. This one hit the US 2 million mark in 1990, Hi Infidelity got to 10 million in 2017, 9 years after it's 9 million certification.
Considering the sales level, it's a little surprising that after the opening two standards there isn't anything that the band consistently breaks out live. You'll see a performance of the closing "Say You Love Me Or Say Goodnight" or "The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot" here and there but for the most part this album has been ignored more and more as the decades go by. My favorite is "Do You Know Where Your Woman Is Tonight?" which gives us some of the relationship paranoia perfected in Hi Infidelity.
I guess the time is ripe for rediscovery.

Comments
Post a Comment