Aldo Nova-Aldo Nova (1982)


 

Artist: Aldo Nova

Title: Aldo Nova

Label: Portrait

Format: LP

Catalog Number: ARR 37498

Year of Release: 1982

Country and Year of Edition: US 1982 Pitman Pressing

Sell Price: $6.75

Sell Date: 10/3/24

Condition: VG+/VG

Discogs Last Sold  9/19/24 VG+/VG $5.71

Low: $1.98

Median: $4.99

Average: $5.98

High: $30.00

Current low price: $2.20

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 16

Have/Want: 177/18

Where Sold:  White Cloud, MI

Time It Took To Sell:  6 months

Where and When Bought: facebook $3 lp lot

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No

"Dildo" Nova as we called him in the "Shit" Parader years arrived slightly before "hair metal" in the established MTV-era. I didn't buy it in it's day, but my friend John next door had it from his initial 13 record Columbia House order.  Even though Aldo Nova came off as kind of a dick in Hit Parader, his cover I always thought was kinda cool and "Fantasy" was a good radio single.  After all he was from Montreal only 5 hours north!   He opened for BOC in Worcester in 1982 and that was simulcast live on WAAF.  I remember it well.  Usually they would do a concert recreation after the show, but this was a sold out arena broadcast to the masses.

At the time, I thought this debut album was one good song and a bunch of filler.  I listed to it on the internet about 10-15 years ago and I kind of thought the same thing  I remember John swearing to me that "Ball and Chain" was also a hit, but I never remember hearing it outside the context of the album even though the video proves it was a featured track.  That's kind of a crappy power ballad but the two tracks before it I kinda like now.  "It's Too Late" has a certain melodrama to it and "Hot Love" is a good early 80's Canadian Power Rocker.

The second side is a little too much Aldo Nova to listen to.  You are reminded that Nova was also a keyboardist when "Foolin' Yourself" kicks off the second side. "Under The Gun" sounds like a bastard spawn of "Fantasy."  "You're My Love" sounds like something from BOC's Mirrors.  "Can't Stop Lovin' You" is a boring AOR ballad with a solo breaking up the monotony.  

Not bad for an Italian Hab.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Masterpieces (1978)

Blur-13 (1999)

Lyres-Happy Now... (1993)