Lionel Hampton-At The Vibes (1962)


 

Artist: Lionel Hampton

Title: At The Vibes

Label: Spin-O-Rama

Format: LP

Cat: MK 3077

Year of Release: 1962

Country and Year of Edition: US 1962 Mono

Sell Price: $2.99 VG/VG+ 6/20/24

Discogs Last Sold: 6/20/24 VG+/VG $3.00

Low: $0.80

Median: $1.96

Average: $2.16

High: $6.60

Current low price: $1.25

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:18

Have/Want: 219/9

Where Sold: Farmingdale, NY

Time it took to sell:  1 week

Where and When Purchased: Facebook lot of $1 records

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

I've been on a vibes kick lately with some MJQ purchases.  Last week I bought a bunch of dollar albums online, like $40 worth after shipping.  Being on said vibe kick, I played this last week.  I hadn't bought any Lionel Hampton since he died in 2002.  I got a copy of the Hamp compilation at that time and sold it sometime after.  This was the first Hamp I had in the house since and I fully enjoyed this live recording.

This wasn't a "value" record by any stretch of the imagination.  Sometime things that are great aren't cool and this wasn't something particularly sought by collectors, just some freak like me that wanted more Vibes in his life.  Maybe Hamp was thought to be a little square, although the record is more raucous and raw than alot of things.  Especially since the instrument is associated more with "Cool" Jazz.   Makes you wonder why some things are popular and some some things languish.  Since Hamp was born in 1908, my guess is generational.   Several copies moved of this title the day this sold.  I don't know what was driving this, but somebody bought a good record for $3 plus shipping.

I guess things happen that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks (1975)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)