Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)


 

Artist: Beatles

Title: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Label: Capitol

Format: LP

Cat: SMAS-2653

Year of Release: 1967

Country and Year of Edition: US 1967 Los Angeles Pressing/Gatefold/Insert

Sell Price: $7.31 G/F sleeve water damaged but the cutout sheet is intact and in very good shape, 1967 Black Capitol Mft. by Capitol (8:00 position) confirmed, no inner sleeve

Discogs Last Sold: 4/8/24 G+/VG $10.99 This is a really nice G+. Steady surface noise throughout, sometimes very loud between tracks, during louder passages barely noticeable. No cut out insert.

Low: $5.99 G+/G+ beat

Median: $21.48

Average: $40.09

High: $250.00 NM/NM original 1967 Los Angeles A10/A12 pressing withOUT Maclen/Nems on back cover, and WITH shortened 'A Little Help From My Friends'. Includes custom inner sleeve and cardstock insert. Jacket front, spine and seams are NM, Jacket rear has light rubbing near borders. Top Copy of first pressing.

Current low price: $10.20 G/F

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 10

Have/Want: 901/996

Where Sold: Huntington, WV

Time it took to sell:  9 years

Where and When Purchased: some box of discarded records in Worcester, I had a copy without the cardstock on Apple already so this was a backup before the CD era

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: No

"Frankly, I never wanted to be a Pepper!"-Geoffrey Holder

Long atop the "Greatest Albums of All Time" lists up through the 80's until it fell from grace in critical circles of subsequent decades, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band has been with me since before I was born, even though I didn't actually have a copy until the early 80's.  Enough childhood friends did that I knew it cold throughout the 70's.

This particular copy that sold was a used backup I got in the pre-CD era.  My first copy was an Apple used copy, this one was the original black Capitol stereo with the cutout cardboard insert but not the rainbow psychedelic inner sleeve.  Depending on the condition, this can be worth anywhere from $5 to $250.  I was conservative grading this one, many a little too much as the vinyl actually sounded pretty good and outside of a partially degraded spine,  the cover was closer to G+ or even VG. It might've been in better condition than the one I paid premium money for.  I'd probably value this at $25 today with a bump on both grades, but life goes on.

I went to a 50's rock 'n' roll show the summer the CD came out in 1987 at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro, MA featuring Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and the Coasters.  Fats Domino was there but deemed to by doctors as too sick to perform.  Between each set they started up the Sgt. Pepper CD.  Over. And over. And over again.  And again.  To the point that for about 25 years I never had the urge to hear Sgt. Pepper again.  Perhaps until the 2017 deluxe edition came out did I feel a hard need to hear it.  I actually repurchased a 1987 master CD edition recently and listened to it last month for the hell of it.  Listening again to the early vinyl stereo pressing didn't give me any startling revelations.

I still know it cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks (1975)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)