The Penetrators-Kings of Basement Rock (1988)


 Artist: The Penetrators


Label: Fred Records

Format: LP

Catalog Number: FRED 0

Year of Release: 1988

Country and Year of Edition: US 1988

Sell Price: $19.24

Sell Date: 3/11/24

Condition: VG+/VG water stain bottom right corner

Discogs Last Sold  1/3/24  NM/NM $21.74

Low: $6.49 9/5/23 VG+/NM

Median: $27.98

Average: $31.88

High: 75.00 10/13/16 $79.99 M/M sealed from label

Current low price: $27.17

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13

Have/Want: 138/128

Where Sold:  Lexington, KY

Time It Took To Sell:  9 years

Where and When Bought: Nuggets Boston late 80's new for $1.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

This compilation of late 70's Garage Punk sub garage rock was an exciting discovery for me in the late 80's.  I somehow heard the bands theme song on WMBR despite the repeated line "we're the Penetrators! We don't FUCK around! We're the number one band in this town!".  I thought the band name in the lyric was Band Of Cheetahs.  What the fuck is this "band of cheetahs"?  I asked myself.  I had to have it. Then the DJ announced who it actually was.   Sometime shortly after, I was flipping through the used bin at Nuggets and I came across a sealed new copy of this for $1.99.  The record I was looking for!

My immediate love for "#1 Band In Town" didn't translate to the rest of the record.  At the time I thought it was merely adequate sub-Crypt/Bomp sort've stuff but having listened to a ton of "pro" records lately, the #1 band in Syracuse sounds fresh and certainly have some other hits.

They went through different singers, the best being Jack Lipton (he passed last September I just discovered), who encompasses the  tracks on the first side including the explicit theme song.  Fred Records issued 2 7" singles in 1979: "Teenage Action"  b/w "Rock 'n Roll Face" and "Gotta Tell Her" b/w "Baby, Doncha Tell Me."  These are all here.  However there are some other winners particularly "Stop Action."  These are songs of sexless desperation after all.  There is also an Animals cover of "It's My Life" for those who like garage rock covers of hit songs.

The best band I know to come from Syracuse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)