3 Inches of Blood-Fire Up The Blades (2007)


 

Artist: 3 Inches of Blood

Title: Fire Up The Blades

Label: Roadrunner

Format: CD

Cat: 1686-180232

Year of Release: 2007

Country and Year of Edition: US 2007 13 track version

Sell Price: $3.45 11/20/23

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 11/19/23 NM/VG+ $7.08

Low: $0.99

Median: $3.98

Average: $4.23

High: $8.09

Current low price: $3.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 12

Have/Want: 576/59

Where Sold: Pembroke, MA

Time It Took To Sell:  8 years

Where and When Bought: mail order on web late aughts

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:  B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Hailing from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, 3 Inches of Blood I found to be consistently enjoyable on their 3rd full length, about 5 years into their existence in the aughts.  I can't remember if I booked this band and didn't see them or if I heard them somewhere, but I liked them enough to have this album and the one before it on my shelf.  I didn't go any further through their last release in 2013.  They did a one-off gig in Vancouver last September after 9 years off, so maybe they will be active again for me to finally see them.

Watching the videos, I finally learned that they have two vocalists: a long haired shrieker (think Udo/Halford) and a shouter that doesn't go into the cliched guttural zone.  Anvils and axes fly.  This puts the album firmly with speed metal, thrash and power NWBHM.  Every time I think the band might be sounding a little samey, I get an "Oh!" yelled or a chugging rhythm that puts me in my place.

I've listed to this all the way through several times now and I can't really say anything bad about it for this reason.  The only thing is i can never seem to distinguish any of these 13 tracks (there a 14th on the Japanese version of this).  I've been bouncing between B and B+ because of this, but I think I'm leaning toward wanting to hear it some more.

Good maybe great at what they do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)