Trans Am-Thing (2010)


 

Artist:  Trans Am

Title:  Thing

Label: Thrill Jockey

Format: CD

Cat:  THRILL236

Year of Release: 2010

Country and Year of Edition: US 2010 card sleeve

Date of Sale: 8/16/23

Sell Price: $4.98

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 7/10/23 M/M $3.99

Low: $2.50 M/M 2/5/17

Median: $4.35

Average: $4.69

High: $10.33 NM/NM 7/14/11

Current low price: $4.02 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 22

Have/Want: 149/36

Where Sold: Iowa City, IA

Time It Took To Sell:  3 years

Where and When Bought: The Fountain Collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:  B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Although I ignored this album completely and inherited it from Fountain's CD moving purge a few years back, it dawned on me that I witnessed this tour in Berlin 2010 when I was wrapping up a half year travel after giving up my East Village apartment and putting everything in storage where it remains in 2023.  I had been following Trans Am and buying their releases religiously through their mid 90's start through their sixth release TA from 2002 which also sold in this order.  That album I have no recollection of either although their second and third, Surrender To The Night and The Surveillance, were heavily played by me.  I'll get to that one after I pull it out of storage to ship the order.

Futureworld in 1999 was where my interest started to taper off even as I continued to buy their albums immediately upon release for the next couple.  I see they haven't played since 2017 when their last album California Hotel, which I also completely ignored.  If they reconvene, I guess I will see them if they show up in New York.  As for now it looks like Phil Manley is playing with Zombi, Carlton Melton and Terry Gross.  Nathan Means hasn't done anything unaffiliated.  Sebastian Thomson is drumming in Baroness which have reached much larger levels than anything Trans Am did in terms of popularity.

One thing I remember about that night in Berlin is that the band seemed more ethereal keyboard emphasized and less Rockin'.  Rockin' was what made those two albums favorites of mine.  I'm fine with ethereal in it's place, but I don't live there.  Sort've like most Brian Eno where I hold it in high regard but it doesn't MOVE me except for certain things.  If that makes sense.  This isn't to say there aren't Rockin' moments here as you can't take the "Butt-Metal" out of butt-metal-prog (as opposed to the strictly Butt-Metal of Manley's other band The Fucking Champs), just somewhere along the line the emphasis shifted to prog-butt-metal.  Not that you want the same record or band over and over.

Unless you do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)