Public Enemy-He Got Game (1998)


 

Artist: Public Enemy

Title: He Got Game

Label: Def Jam

Format: CD

Cat:  314 558 130-2

Year of Release: 1998

Country and Year of Edition: US 1998

Date of Sale: 7/31/23

Sell Price: $3.55

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 6/7/23  VG//VG $4.00

Low: $1.10

Median: $2.89

Average: $3.02

High: $8.00

Current low price: $1.05

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 39

Have/Want: 657/75

Where Sold: Columbus, OH

Time It Took To Sell:  11 years

Where and When Bought: used KIms Underground around release

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:  B+

Sad To See It Go: No

The trials and tribulations of Jesus Shuttleworth in Spike Lee's flim He Got Game influenced a soundtrack partnership for I believe the first time since "Fight The Power" opened Do The Right Thing.  This time it was a whole standalone PE album.  For me this was their most memorable since the early 90's.

I won't call it a comeback but it sure felt like it.  The title track with it's Stephen Stills cameo along the lines of Anthrax Bring The Noise redux or Aerosmith busting down the walls for Run DMC's take on "Walk This Way."  For me, these type of tracks aren't my favorite.  It's nice they brought Stills out in real time as opposed to trotting out a sample that would've probably been much more expensive.  Maybe they wanted to and Neil wouldn't let 'em.

Anyway for me the one that always stuck was "Is Your God A Dog?"   The other that I really liked this time around was "Go Cat Go."  That one has a Chuck D feel of "Rightstarter."   "Shake Your Body" seems like a cross of "Got Your Money" by Ol' Dirty Bastard and "Cold Lampin' With Flavor."

The missives against corporate politics turn on the movies subject.  "Game Face," "Politics of The Sneaker Pimps," "Super Agent."  You get the point.  I thought the outro "Sudden Death" was a soliloquy in the Spike movie but it's been so long since I saw it in the theatre I can't remember.

Maybe I'm  just falling victim to false memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)