The Zombies-The Singles Collection: A's & B's 1964-1969 (2000)


 

Artist:The Zombies


Label: Big Beat

Format: CD

Cat: WIKD 200

Year of Release: 2000

Country and Year of Edition: UK 2000

Date of Sale: 5/31/23

Sell Price: $7.21 

Condition: VG+/VG+ 

Discogs Last Sold: 5/20/23 M/M $19.03

Low:$3.49 NM/NM

Median: $7.35

Average: $8.49

High: $19.99

Current low price: $5.44 VG+/NM

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 27

Have/Want:  339/32

Where Sold:  Bellingham, WA

Time It Took To Sell:  7 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

When the Zombie Heaven box came out on the Big Beat label in 1997, word on the street was this is it!  The only Zombies you'll ever need to get in your lifetime!  4 CD's filled to the max with the albums, the singles, BBC sessions.  Of course as far as listing to it start to finish on a regular basis, well that might've been a bit much as most box sets are truth be told.

So a few years later the same label issued this compilation in glorious mono in it's Singles A's & B's series.  More "listenable" than the Zombie Heaven collection I bought in the late 90's (this was from a consignment collection).  The Singles Collection still seems a bit long at 28 tracks, even though it covers a single disc in their 6 years.  The group reformed around this time and I saw them one of the 4 night stand at the Village Underground in 2001.  For some reason these Zombies gigs aren't documented on setlist.fm, but I was at one of them.  As the years went by, The Zombies reestablished themselves as a large club or suburban theatre size band.   I saw them paired with Love at Town Hall, outside for a free show in Central Park and my last time was at City Winery before the pandemic.  The Zombies are still going.

I tried a headphone listen to this release the other night and I made it through 6 or 7 tracks before the headphones were torn asunder and I surrendered to sleep somewhere after one of the tracks everybody knows, "Tell Her No."  The other two, "She's Not There" and "Time Of The Season" bookend their career.  They only had a couple other charting singles in the US: "She's Coming Home" and "I Want You Back Again" which wasn't a UK single (only US, Canada & Australia) thus not making the cut.

I was making mental notes of certain great tracks I never remember and other ones that seeing them the last 20 years of reunion shows have imprinted in my head.  The ones I liked today were "You Make Me Feel Good" which has echos of "It Won't Be Long" by the Beatles, "Don't Go Away" in it's Stones like splendor and What More Can I Do."  The tracks that stood out for me post-Zombie Heaven would be things like "I Love You" and "Indication."  

A solid singles themed comp, if not "the one."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)