Santana-Santana (1969)


 

Artist: Santana

Title: Santana
2:50
Label: Columbia

Format: LP

Cat: CS 9781

Year of Release: 1969

Country and Year of Edition: US 1969

Sell Price: $6.99 G+/VG 5/6/23 

Discogs Last Sold: 5/3/23 G+/G+ $7.50

Low:$3.00 G+/G+ 11/16/21

Median: $9.97

Average: $19.24

High: $129.99 NM/VG+ 5/3/21

Current low price: $3.00 VG/no cover, G+/VG $6.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 128

Have/Want:  18026/2376

Where Sold:  Charleston, SC

Time it Took to sell: 8 years

Where and When  dollar bin Boston late 80s early 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Santana's first before Woodstock made him a household name.  "Evil Ways" peaked at #9  on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1970.  This album came out August 1969, the same month as the festival.

"Evil Ways" was originally done by percussionist Willie Bobo.  The other big cover on the record would be "Jingo" (or "Jin-go-lo-ba") by Olatunji. It's coupling with  "Savor" was a live mainstay.  The Woodstock show stopper was the album closer, the career definining "Soul Sacrifice."

The rest of the album never made it out of the 70's in terms of live performance save for a one off in the 80's for "You Just Don't Care" and 90's for "Shades of Time."  

Although Abraxas has always been my favorite Santana album, there is no denying this one.  It made the man, the band and holds up.   It made Latin and African Jazz immensely popular Psychedelic Rock in a way nobody else could.  

Quality that cannot be denied.

ED NOTE: I felt like I gave this album a bit of the short shrift in my initial write-up.  This record was sitting in my canceled order box in my bedroom the last couple years, so I was able to listen yesterday killing time before band practice (and out the door before cleaning up loads of typos).  All the other records I sold this week have a pending storage run pickup today.  I took the opportunity of an 8 am wakeup this morning to give the album another listen in headphones.  The cleaning lady at work was saying she was going to see Carlos Santana later this summer and I realized I've still never seen him.  I've been pulling his 70's fusion albums sitting around my room that I bought in used lots.  For some reason, the urge never really struck me to zone in on this one, even though it is classic.  I always felt like I knew it a little more than I did.  That said, the lesser known side 2 tracks like "Persuasion" and "You Just Don't Care" were doing it for me the morning after I wrote this up.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)