Oasis-Standing On The Shoulder of Giants (2000)


Artist: Oasis

2:50
Label: Epic

Format: CD+CD single

Cat: EK 63586

Year of Release: 2000

Country and Year of Edition: US 2000 limited edition with bonus single

Sell Price: $3.49 VG+/VG+  4/27/23  

Discogs Last Sold: 4/27/23 $3.99 G+/NM

Low:$2.00

Median: $3.62

Average: $3.57

High: $3.99

Current low price: $2.62

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 28

Have/Want:  550/68

Where Sold:  Delaware, OH

Time it Took to sell: 11 years

Where and When  internet early to mid aughts

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sometime in the mid aughts I convinced myself that a complete Oasis discography on CD was the thing to have after having nothing and basic dislike for the band from their commercial inception.  Had a change of heart I guess, as did many people who bought their cd's, as I'm pretty certain they were all in the 75 cent range on half.com.  I remember this being a new album I played once in the last hour of my radio shift toward the end of my WFDU overnight run.  At the time I thought it sounded like typical commercial Brit-rock, but after  the few headphone listens it took to get a fully awake pass I think this one is pretty solid overall.

The album kicks off with an intro nick of Spencer Davis Group's "I'm A Man" with some incidental tape blather about "Fucking In The Bushes."  Classic rock themes resound as they always have subliminally.  Even if Liam called a George Harrison a nipple by this point, they still manage to reference the Beatles Mellotron of Strawberry Field AND the Penny Lane style outro.  Maybe even the vocal stylings of Kurt Cobain on "Go Let It Out."

"Go Let It Out" is repeated on the limited bonus disc as a single and paired with "Let's All Make Believe."  Most of the rest is solid Oasis fare, my favorite is Liam's "Little James," a deceptively pretty lullaby where ultimately the child is told everyone is gonna be gone.

Even that nipple George Harrison.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)