Eagles-On The Border (1974)


 

Artist: Eagles

Title: On The Border

Label: Asylum

Format: LP

Cat: 7E 1004

Year of Release: 1974

Country and Year of Edition: US 1974 CTH Pressing

Sell Price: $3.99 G+/G 

Discogs Last Sold: 3/7/23 VG/G $4.99

Low:$2.00 VG/G+

Median: $8.00

Average: $8.87

High: $33.00 NM/NM

Current low price:  $3.06 G/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 44

Have/Want: 1487/159

Where Sold:  Charleston, SC

Time it Took to sell: 8 years

Where and When  Worcester That's Entertainment early 80's dollar bin

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No

It's so easy to bag on the Eagles.  Like Sting, Don Henley falls in to a "so serious he seems a bit pompous and his solo career is shit" sort of thing.  In it's day, however I took the Eagles seriously, particularly the Joe Walsh era which will be represented in the next write-up.  I always thought a little less of the era that got compiled on the mega-selling anthology Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975.  

It was easy to come by a complete Eagles collection for the dollar bin in the early 80's.  I think I got this sub-grade copy for 49 cents plus tax.  Listening in headphones it didn't sound too bad condition-wise for that price.  The song I remembered that I liked the most was "James Dean" which opens side 2.  I seem to remember it skipping like crazy but it didn't skip at all this listen.

The Tom Waits cover "Ol' 55" from Closing Time (that Waits album was a 70's staple in my household) I heard recently in a coffee shop.  I forgot the Eagles covered it, even though I knew it was them.  "Not a terrible version" I thought to myself.  In fact, I kinda like it.  Check that, I like it.

What I don't really like are the mega-hits "Already Gone" and the closer "Best of My Love."  They are just bland top 40 AOR to me.   For the rest, "Midnight Flyer" is the one that sorta stood out.

Barely.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)