Eagles-The Long Run (1979)


 
Artist: Eagles

Title: The Long Run

Label: Asylum

Format: LP

Cat: 5E 508

Year of Release: 1979

Country and Year of Edition: US 1979

Sell Price: $3.49 VG/G+ 5/6/23

Discogs Last Sold: 5/8/23 VG/G+ $1.99

Low:$1.00

Median: $5.00

Average: $6.18

High: $19.29

Current low price: $2.94

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 168

Have/Want:  9535/366

Where Sold:  Charleston, SC

Time It Took To Sell: 8 years

Where and When Bought: Store 24 Worcester brand new $5.99 late 79

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

I got this in late '79 when my Billboard #1 album collection was recently underway.  This one had debuted at #2, an uncharacteristically high entry pre-Soundscan and hit the top a week after from my 9 year old recollection.  I would say I was a fan of the band at the time, having "Life In The Fast Lane" on the FM soundtrack, but this was my first whole album by them although I soon got a 50 cent copy of Hotel California at a yard sale sans cover (that was to be paired later from an empty jacket in a $5 box).

More history than you would ever want to know about my history with the Eagles.  However, I still think this is their best album start to finish.  I still know it cold to this day. The hits don't bother me this time, even the canned clapping of "Heartache Tonight."   Surprisingly, the Glenn Frey hit "I Can't Tell You Why" sounds good to me in this setting as atmospheric.  

Growing up in a Greek neighborhood, "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" had a special resonance for the Rock kids in my elementary school.  Kids are literal minded and not thinking about Theta Kappa Fukka or whatever social commentary Henley wanted to give.   "Those Shoes" got sampled later on by the Beastie Boys and I bet they knew this as kids too.  "The Disco Strangler" continues the aesthetic wars of Corporate Rock in the late 70's diluted by time.  Blue collar Rock as a commercial medium was fighting on all fronts until it fell on it's own populist sword.

The Live album the following year was the true last gasp before the band split into solo careers for the 80's until their big ticket Hell Freezes Over reformation in 1994.  It took until Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 for them to do another studio record.  I ignored all of this stuff and psychologically I view The Long Run as "their last album."  Maybe I should stop being such a snob and listen to it.

"Just put that monster smile on them rosy cheeks."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)