Barbara Manning-1212 (1997)


 

Artist: Barbara Manning

Title: 1212

Label: Matador

Format: CD

Cat: OLE 221-2 7 44861 02212 6

Year of Release: 1997

Country and Year of Edition: US 1997

Sell Price: $3.99 VG+/VG+ 4/14/23 

Discogs Last Sold: 8/5/22 VG+/VG+ $3.99

Low:$3.32

Median: $3.89

Average: $5.22

High: $15.77

Current low price: $3.22

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 31

Have/Want:  202/33

Where Sold:  East Rockaway, NY

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When  St Marks Smash sidewalk dollar crates $1 late 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Ever since I heard "Someone Wants You Dead" on WMBR in 1990 by her early group World of Pooh, I've been a fan of Barbara Manning's voice.  Deceptively laid back and always strangely beautiful.  She writes, she interprets.

The opening 4 part epic is about a side worth that opens the CD called The Arsonists Story.  It literally crackles by the end of it.  At first I thought it was kinda dumb base gothic, but then it grew on me after I relistened.

Definitely not dumb are her choice of covers: Some I knew (Bevis Frond "Stain On The Sun," Richard & Linda Thompson "End Of The Rainbow"), some I didn't (The Deviants "First Line (Seven The Row)" the Tom Lehrer written "Rickety Tickety Tin" (also called "The Irish Ballad") and Amon Duul "Marcus Leid")  point to further record collector talking points and the people that love them.  The points, not the collectors.

The song I remembered liking from the 90's was "Isn't Lonely Lovely" but I could've sworn it was another version and I'm still not quite certain from where.  The Amon Duul cover is the one standing out for me today.

Sometimes all it takes is a mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)