Unsane NYC-This Town b/w Urge To Kill (1989)


 

Artist: Unsane NYC

Title: This Town b/w Urge To Kill

Label: Treehouse

Format: 7"

Cat: TR 020

Year of Release: 1989

Country and Year of Edition: US 1989 orange sleeve, 800 pressing

Sell Price: $17.99 VG+/VG+ 3/11/23

Discogs Last Sold: 7/20/22 NM/NM $17.02

Low:$10.00

Median: $15.00

Average: $14.47

High: $17.99

Current low price: none 

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 0

Have/Want: 48/99

Where Sold: Westerville, OH

Time it took to sell: 8 years

Where and When  Boston Newbury Comics new late 80's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Classic punishment rock from Unsane when they were Unsane NYC acknowledging another Thrash Metal band from Levittown, NY called The Unsane.  Even though this one started as low pressing and lo fi, with the help of a fledgling Matador Records, they became the best known band with that name in the metal world.  They dropped the 'NYC' tag pretty damn fast.

In this era,with the original drummer Charlie Ondras, I took a trip to see them in Northampton, MA with my WERS school radio co-horts Kerri and Carol and we missed the afternoon show completely but wound up at a party for the band.   Charlie and I became fast friends and he was making cocktails with dijon mustard and whatever he could find in the fridge that made sorta sense while Pete Shore was wrestling in the living room and cracked his head on a table.  I ran into Pete 10 years later and he pointed to a scar he still had on his head from that day.

Anyway I woke up on the couch there with some girl that called me later in the summer to tell me Charlie died from a heroin OD.  The story goes 11:30 he copped a bag, by 12:00 he was dead.  I commemorated said story in a lyric from my then band Suck in a 30 second song called "Charlie."  The times are more accurate to the story in the song than in my head now as I am writing this.   This single was the debut of his era and a classic, although the B-side is the one I remember most.  The record came in different color sleeves and mine was Orange.  Discogs says it was a repress, but I'm certain I got it around the time it came out.  Maybe it was pressed in '89 and I bought it in '90 and just don't remember.

Things are a bit blurry from that period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)