Head East-Flat As A Pancake (1975)


Artist: Head East

Title: Flat As A Pancake

Label: A&M

Format: LP

Cat: SP 4745

Year of Release:1975

Country and Year of Edition: US 1975

Sell Price: $7.99 VG/VG+ 2/26/23

Discogs Last Sold: 2/21/23 VG+/VG $4.00

Low:$1.25

Median: $4.25

Average: $6.63

High: $39.10

Current low price: $2.99 G+/G+, $3.00 VG/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 37

Have/Want: 3066/126

Where Sold: Santa Fe, NM

Time it took to sell:  1 year

Where and When Purchased: Facebook market lot

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No

What better record to write about Sunday than one with a breakfast/brunch motif?  Not only that, but one of the better songs on the record, "Jefftown Creek" had a Sunday morning in the lyric.  What better way to find something to write about last minute?

 Head East were midwestern AOR rock from Central Illinois.  The opening track, "Never Been Any Reason" was inescapable on my Worcester rock local, WAAF in the late 70's into the early 80's.  The chorus was further drilled into my head with their live show opening spots at the Cape Cod Coliseum or wherever they played in New England.  I can still recall the AOR-DJ voice exclaiming HEAD EAST as the chorus "Save My Life I'm Going Down For The Last Time!" established it's eternal familiarity and forever pairing it with the band.

This coupling made me track down the song title in the golden age of the internet, where for some reason I never knew the actual title of the song.  All my rock mysteries have been slowly revealed, by search engines, ruining the thrill of accidental discovery.  I got this last year in a stack of cheap albums up for sale on Facebook, which has slowly created a mountain of albums in my bedroom.  It's a very addictive way to lazily accumulate too many records you have no room for, when you really are trying to sell your collection off.  However, in this $75 order that just came in, 4 of the 5 pieces were bought this way last year, so maybe I'm on to something.

As for Flat As A Pancake, I woke up at 4AM this morning and listened to 3 albums, this was the last one and then I had to sleep.  I have to say after Down For The Last Time or whatever it's called, there was very little on the record I liked on first pass.  For me the next best song after the aforementioned "Jefferson Creek" on second pass was the side 2 opener, "Fly By Night Lady."  This once has enough jamming organ rocking to make me think it good.  If you want the harmonies you find in the hit, the closer "Brother Jacob" is the closest thing to a reprise.

The track order was radically revised where "Jefftown Creek" opens the record, "Never Been Any Reason" opens side 2, "Brother Jacob" closes side 1 instead of the album.  One other thing that I just noticed is the pancake cover design was a radically different concept on the original independent label Pyramid Records before A&M picked the album up for mass distribution.  

Not as delicious looking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)