Polyrock-Polyrock (1980)


 

Artist: Polyrock

Title: Polyrock 

Label: RCA 

Format: LP

Cat: AFL1-3714

Year of Release:1980

Country and Year of Edition: US 1980

Sell Price: $11.99 1/2/23  VG+/F sleeve heavy water damage

Discogs Last Sold: 1/11/23 VG+/VG+ $30.26

Low:$7.50 VG/VG

Median: $15.00

Average: $16.60

High: $53.26

Current low price: $14.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 23

Have/Want: 1000/452

Where Sold: Indianapolis, IN

Time it took to sell:  8 years

Where and When Purchased: new from cutout bin in Worcester mid 80's 50 cents sealed Al Bums

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade:  A-

Sad To See It Go: No

Philip Glass' sideman foray into a "rock" band sounds a bit like Roxy Music meets Gang of Four, Devo, Human Sexual Response, hell even B-52's if they were "serious" like Television. Eno, Fripp and that farty synth lot also come to mind.  Good record I bought from the dollar bin in Worcester since I noticed it's 4-star review in the 2nd Rolling Stone Record Guide.  I'll by that for a dollar!  My young teenage mind thought in exclamations.  I think it was 50 cents, sealed!

Had I kept it sealed it would've been worth about fifty bucks now, but the box it was in got flooded up against my storage window and the P's too a bath and soaked in it for probably years until I cleared them out to list them.   For whatever reason, the music never stuck with me at home or on my radio shows and I really don't know why.  This album is damn good artier side of new wave and certainly guitar oriented.  I'm feeling generous on the third listen and bumping it up to an A- from a B+, though it is causing me a bit of consternation. 

Billy Robertson, the songer/guitarist passed in 2018,  He had an early 90's 1-album band with Polyrock vocalist Catherine Oblasney named 9 Ways To Sunday. I somehow never knew they existed until today. My friend Kevin saw them in Cedar Brook, NJ in the early 80's (they were done in 1983) at a short lived venue called Meadowbrook Ballroom.  Actually it wasn't that short lived, it housed the swing era in the 40's.  But I digress.

Kevin couldn't remember the second Polyrock album from 1981, Changing Hearts, but he did remember their final release in 1982, Above The Fruited Plain.  We didn't discuss his 70's band Model Citizens.

The first album?  Yeah, it's good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)