Spacehog-The Chinese Album (1998)


 

Artist: Spacehog

Title: The Chinese Album

Label: Sire/Warner Bros./Hi Fi Recordings

Format: CD

Cat: 9 46851-2

Year of Release:1998

Country and Year of Edition: US 1998 Promo Gold Stamp

Sell Price: $5.99 12/1/22  VG Amazon

Discogs Last Sold: 11/22/22 VG+/VG+ $2.00

Low:$0.99

Median: $2.00

Average: $2.97

High: $19.99

Current low price: $1.22

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 21

Have/Want: 337/27

Where Sold: Houston, TX

Time it took to sell:  10 years

Where and When Purchased: given in CD throwout

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go: No

I had a mental note that Spacehog were a local band I couldn't stand.  I think I saw them live before they had a hit record on a bill with someone I wanted to see.  While not as wretched as I thought they were then, this is the sort of Britpop transplanted to NYC that I spent a lifetime trying to avoid.

Unfortunately, they were featured prominently in a box of inherited discarded CD's from a former roommate.  It made me curious when this sold to see if my opinion changed at all.   Some of the tracks toward the end of the record I think are ok.  They were big enough for Michael Stipe to guest appear on "Almond Kisses" and the track after, "Carry On"  was a minor hit in the UK for good reason.  It's got a scruffy T. Rex appeal that I didn't get back then for whatever reason. "Anonymous" has a Radar Love-Stones-Dylan feel.

Could be worse I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)