Quasi-R&B Transmogrification (1997)


 

Artist: Quasi

Title: R&B Transmogrification

Label: Up Records

Format: CD

Cat: UP 040

Year of Release:1997

Country and Year of Edition: US 1997

Sell Price: $2.99 12/5/22  VG+/VG+ hole punch in UPC

Discogs Last Sold: 11/18/22 NM/NM $3.59

Low:$0.88

Median: $2.87

Average: $3.49

High: $10.00

Current low price: $1.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 9

Have/Want: 161/22

Where Sold: Indianapolis, IN

Time it took to sell:   7 years

Where and When Purchased: used NYC Sounds late 90's

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

The other half of the 2-CD Quasi order was the other half of my Quasi completist journey circa 1999 after having their second album Featuring "Birds" on heavy household play most of 1998.  I picked this CD up in the used bin at Sounds, where critics cds were sold on Saint Marks Place to bargain hunters like me.

The narrative in my mind this was an embryonic Quasi, but I guess you could truly say that regarding the 1993 cassette, some of which wound up on an Early Recordings compilation in 1996 before this came out. At the time I didn't know that existed and was content to think this was the Quasi debut for many many years.   .

Again, Quasi requires a three consecutive spin rule to comment on it.  I did one in speakers, one in headphones, and I'm streaming as I write this.  That's more time I've committed to this release than the near quarter century I've had it in my collection.  I don't think this got past one unfocused play start to finish in the late 90's.

With Quasi, I feel there is an underlying quality in the Coomes/Weiss combo that never really flags.  Maybe a little less melody and more noise on this record, but as the material enters the zone of third listen familiarity, I'm feeling that perhaps R&B Transmogrification is just as good as everything else they do and am bumping my initial B grade up a peg.  As usual, I feel chopping down 4 cuts would make the record better, but that would relegate the instrumental title track to a B-side.  The stand out winner of the record for me is "Sugar" since it makes the poison go down fine. "Ballad of Mechanical Man" is a close second.  I like the tremolo on the "The Iron Worm" quite a bit also although the atmospheric transition fucks up the rocking.

Shut up David and let the artists make their art!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)