Bob Dylan-Watching The River Flow b/w Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (1971)


 

Artist: Bob Dylan

Title: Watching The River Flow b/w Spanish Is The Loving Tongue

Label: CBS

Format: 7"

Cat:  CBS 7329

Year of Release:1971

Country and Year of Edition: Portugal 1971

Sell Price: $24.99 11/10/22  VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold: 9/28/22 VG+VG $18.75

Low:$10.42 VG+/generic

Median: $21.87

Average: $25.83

High: $58.03 NM/NM unplayed stock copy

Current low price: $10.42 VG/generic, $29.60 VG+/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 9

Have/Want: 19/21

Where Sold: Huntington, NY

Time it took to sell:  8 years

Where and When Purchased: London UK Intoxica early aughts 20 pounds

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: No

"People disagreeing on all just about everything, yeah...."

Nice Portugal Dylan 7" with picture sleeve I picked up in London around 2001 or so.  "Watching The River Flow" has a cranked fuzz guitar that jumps out of muddy vocals in headphones on the 7".  "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue," is piano only version  of the traditional song.   It was found with female background on the Dylan album of Self Portrait outtakes that Columbia put out in 1973, when he briefly jumped ship to Asylum.  The difference is radical.

As a single this just missed the US top 40 peaking at #41 but it was top 25 in Europe and Canada.  The A-side came out at the end of the same year opening the Greatest Hits Vol II compilation.  I had that as a cassette by the mid-70's, getting it at the local Worcester chain Arnold's Records when I was 6 or 7 as a loose tooth gift post believing in tooth fairy, but still wanting something for my tooth.  This was when I had one of those Realistic all in one tape recorders with one mono speaker common in the mid-70's.  I liked that the music didn't have scratches with this new (to me) technology.  I also liked that a double album only had to be flipped once.

I always thought Bob sat perpetually watching the flowing river, but looking at the lyrics I'm finding he sits contentedly.  Maybe he sat perpetually in some other version.  Even the quote above I remembered as "people DISAGREE about everything, yeah."  A child's abomination of the poet's sacred words carried without correction into my 50's.

Or maybe my childlike mind got creative.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)