The Cairo Gang-The Cairo Gang (2006)


 

Artist: The Cairo Gang

Title  The Cairo Gang

Label:  Narnack

Format: CD

Cat: NCK 7038

Year of Release: 20006

Country and Year of Edition: US  2006 hole punch in barcode

Sell Price: $2.99  VG+/VG+ 9/13/22  

Discogs Last Sold:2/22/22 VG+/VG+ $1.50

Low: $1.00

Median: $2.50

Average: $2.54

High: $4.98

Current low price: $1.75

Current Number on Sbale at Discogs:  9

Have/Want: 33/16

Where Sold:  North Andover, MA

Time it took to sell:  8 years

Where and When Purchase: promo

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go: No

Narnack was a label headed by a guy Shahin that worked out of the Knitting Factory when I was doing Rubric.  He got their label manager Camille to work for him, and I think she is the one that gave me this disc along with the then new Fall CD and the Coachwhips who I liked at the time.  He is still going after 20 years, so kudos to him even if the website proclaims that means nothing.

As for the Cairo Gang, I might've threw it in the cd carousel player I had on 9th and C, but I have no actual recollection of it.  Emmett Kelly was the main band member on this and he had a long running affiliation with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, who I liked quite a bit in the "Palace" era.  This record to me sounded like a C- cross between what was known then as "freak-folk," mixed with lo-fi indie like Sebadoh and maybe a bit of post rock.  Indie rock circa 2006.

So I'm giving this a second headphone pass to see if there is anything that stands out beyond whether the annoying recorder throughout the album puts it in 'D' territory.  It isn't THAT terrible as a whole. Every once in a while a likeable melody encased in crud-fi like "Silhouette" comes out.

There is much worse out there.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)