Speedking-Sway b/w Spider Veloce (1995)


 

Artist: Speedking

Title: Sway b/w Spider Veloce

Label: Merry Dogger

Format: 7"

Cat: SK3 NO. 002

Year of Release: 1995

Country and Year of Edition: US 1995

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 8/27/22

Sell Price: $7.99

Discogs Last Sold:3/6/22 NM/NM $7.49

Low: $5.00

Median: $7.99

Average: $7.89

High: $12.00

Current low price:$8.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 9

Have/Want: 46/32

Where Sold:  Dripping Springs, TX

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: NYC Adult Crash mid 90's, $2.98 sticker still on it, assuming bought new

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C+

Sad To See It Go: No

Six Finger Satellite were one of those bands I had to have everything associated with. Before James Murphy became James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, he was the engineer for Six Finger and perhaps this is how I learned of his band Speedking though I never made an active connection.  

This single was recorded with Bob Weston of WMBR and Shellac fame, as well as Electrical Audio's famed number two.  With anything that comes out of there you expect a snappy clarity that is surprisingly lacking in this 33 RPM green vinyl 7".  It sounds like crud-fi and really for no good reason.  

Speedking had a NYC address in 1995, a post office in the 10009 area code where I have lived.  In 1995 I lived in 10003, but 10009 started further east.  The record store, Adult Crash, was the next block over from me as I was between 1st & 2nd and the store was on Ave. A.  

I got three consecutive headphone listens in of this single since it can't be streamed online.  The A-side has a great intro, but the meat of the song is a little bit third rate.  Coming to my town?  Well alright, and the set may very well be on a Monday at 1AM at CB's or the Continental and in 1995 I'd probably happily go.  But they were already in my town at the time of release!

I'm guessing the B-side, “Spider Veloce," is sung by Miriam Maltagliati who was also in Pony with James Murphy.  This one has some keyboards and driving bass.  

I'm sure I played it once or twice on WFDU before filing it away til now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)