The Flaming Lips – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2002)


 

Artist: The Flaming Lips

Title: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Label:  Warner Bros.

Format: CD

Cat: 9 48142

Year of Release: 2002

Country and Year of Edition: US 2002

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 7/4/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 7/21/22 M/M $9.98

Low: $1.00 VG+/VG+

Median: $3.75

Average: $4.73

High: $11.47 M/M

Current low price:$1.99 VG/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 47

Have/Want: 3101/398

Where Sold:  St. Charles, MI

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: new internet when released

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B-

Sad To See It Go: No

My intense dislike of this album when it came out has somewhat dissipated 20 years on.  At the time I thought it was a continuation down a road of something I really didn't want to spend time with.  If I was disappointed at canned live drumming a few years prior, the last thing I wanted was some drum 'n bass shit grafted onto my Lips.

Although I have a few more recent albums on my hard drive, Yoshimi may very well be the last Lips album I've actually listed to, although clearly from my initial headphone listen, I didn't commit it to memory the way I did The Soft Bulletin.  Two decades have gone by of Lips albums I've ignored including the one everybody is telling me is among their very very best: American Head from a couple years ago.  Heady Fwends and the balloon filled show at Terminal 5 in NYC I went to in that era kinda sealed the deal on my indifference to the Lips in the last decade and I think The Terror from 2013 is the last one I bothered to listen to.  I didn't think the Lips were bad that night, I just had long stopped caring, and Yoshimi was the start of that for me.  Listening now, my initial C- memory has been upgraded a full grade.

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots actually opens with a strong cut that was one of 4 (!) videos for this record.  I had absolutely no recollection of this song.  But, I did realize that there were two songs I DID remember out of the eleven.  Aptly, the first is "Do You Realize??" which I actually like.  But then I remembered what made me say to myself "I hate this."  It was the title track of an imaginary anime soundtrack.  Ugh, I hate that shit!  Now I like Akira as much as any cartoon, and I'm indifferent to criticism of cultural appropriation in the greater good of free thought and expression for all.  However,  I'm extremely supportive of bad or any cultural appropriation being criticized with equal zeal.  You have the right to suck, and people have the right to freely tell you you suck.  It's the American Way!

Now on to American Head.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)