Z'ev-My Favorite Things (1985)


 

Artist: Z'ev

Title: My Favorite Things

Label: Subterranean

Format:  LP

Cat  SUB 33

Year of Release: 1985

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1985

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 6/17/22

Sell Price: $14.99

Discogs Last Sold: 12/17/21 M/NM $45.57 Sealed

Low: $8.00

Median: $18.12

Average: $20.55

High: $45.57

Current low price:$12.00 VG+/VG

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 15

Have/Want: 189/126

Where Sold: Exton, PA

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: internet  1985 Subterranean mail order new

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

"resonant, rhythmic crashclang of titanium, stainless steel, plastics, aluminum...Z'ev's' unmatched percussive techniques liberate sonic nuances from pipe, tube, pan, tub, sheet and ductwork..."-back cover liner notes

Industrial percussionist Z'ev I purchased a couple albums by mail order from the San Francisco label Subterranean  in tandem with his 1982 album Elemental Music and whatever I needed to complete my Flipper collection.  This particular album compiles live on air, in venue and studio recordings from 1979-1983.  

Most of it is a cool cacophony although the chaos of the opening "Zones" recorded at the Pyramid in NYC in 1982 is a bit more chaotic.  It's unclear when the lo-fi is ambience or merely cassette quality which I suspect the Pyramid recording is.

Since I'm biased to "shorts" rather than "longs" with industrial music, I prefer the 6 tracks grouped on the memory side.  It's all quality, all "cool" and "neat" background noise to zone in and out of.  For some that can be a full fledged soundtrack to their lives, but for me I prefer Z'ev in small doses and without repetition.

I do appreciate the art for arts sake presentation.  It seems much like this would be restricted to museums or forced into the street where it would be ticketed within 5 minutes.  The Pyramid is still around on Ave. A, but I doubt they would ever consider hosting something like this for decades.

Z'ev passed of Pulmonary Failure in December of 2017 at the age of 66. a year and a half after surviving the Cimarron train derailment.

Too bad, the world needs more like him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)