Metallica-St. Anger (2003)


 

Artist: Metallica

Title: St. Anger

Label: Elektra

Format: CD + DVD

Cat # 62853-2

Year of Release: 2003

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2003 Digipak CD with booklet and DVD

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 5/2/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 4/27
/22 VG+/VG $3.00

Low: $0.01

Median: $3.00

Average: $5.11

High:$15.00

Current low price:$0.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs:53

Have/Want: 1858/165

Where Sold: Westmont, IL

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: internet new when it came out

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

When St. Anger came out, I was still purchasing Metallica releases immediately even after Load/Reload.  I ordered this online, and I think I was still waiting for it in the mail when my friend Jimmy told me it had an awesome drum sound.

I do like the snare sound. Many hate it.   It's almost like an industrial piece of scrap metal klang throughout.  Unfortunately there are some reoccurring things on this I don't like.  Hetfield incorporates an Alice In Chains style to go with his regular distinctive singing style.  It's annoying, especially with the lyrics.  I saw the movie Some Kind of Monster in the theatre when it came out a year or so later, and that was the only track that stood out for me nearly 20 years on.  Even Load and Reload I committed to memory when they were released.

As for the DVD, you can't copy it, so I watched it for the first time before this went out the door.  I will say it was helpful for catching me up to speed with the album before hearing it again for the first time since it came out.  It's like seeing a live set before you actually hear the album with some "fancy" camera effects to give the casual viewer variety since it amounts to 80 minutes of the songs played live start to finish in the practice space.

Musically the album was a comeback.  I like the drums, the guitars are Metallica and Trujillo is a seamless addition in the DVD versions, although Producer Bob Rock played bass on the tracks before he joined at the end of the albums completion due to Newstead's departure.  Unfortunately the songs themselves aren't that great.  I'm not against self-analytical balladry--"Fade To Black" and "Sanitarium (Welcome Home)" did a great job of that in their peak post-Kill 'Em All years.  

"Sweet Amber" for me was the best song of the rehearsal space and again that was my favorite of the album.  Everything else had COMPONENTS of a song that I liked.  A riff here, a clang there, some thrashing, some starting and stopping in tight precision.  Musically nothing bad and sometimes great until Alice In Chains/90's alt rock reared it's ugly head.

I wanted to like this as a return to greatness, but it wasn't that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks (1975)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)