Soundtrack-Grease (1978)


 

Artist: Various (Frankie Valli, John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Frankie Avalon, Stockard Channing, Cindy Bullens, Sha Na Na, Louis St. Louis)

Title: Grease

Label: RSO

Format: 2XLP

Cat #: RS-2-4002

Year of Release: 1978

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1978 Terre Haute Gatefold Pressing

Listed Condition: G+/F

Sell Date: 4/14/22

Sell Price: $4.99

Discogs Last Sold: 4/17/22 VG+/VG+ $10.99

Low: $3.00 G/F

Median: $10.00

Average: $12.18

High:$45.00 NM/NM Beautiful Copy

Current low price:$3.00 VG/VG+

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 92

Have/Want: 20667/1682

Where Sold: Macomb, MI

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: 1978 birthday gift

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

More enduring 44 years on than I'd like to admit.  My beat up copy I got new for my 8th birthday went 1/2 median price for $5.   I remember a mother at a job telling me how her daughters favorite movie was Grease and all kids liked Grease.  That was 25 years ago.  As a newly turned 8 year old I got this and saw the movie.  I certainly enjoyed it a good year before the dark cloud of 9 year old maturity took over causing me to never touch the record ever again.

So established career adults of the 70's interpret the simpler 50's.  Of course every kid I knew honed into the 2-expetive shit/tit couplet in "Greased Lightning."  Expletives didn't happen in the 50's.  Hell the 60's had congressional inquiries into perceived expletives in "Louie Louie."  Frampton comes aboard the opening Barry Gibb penned titled track through Frankie Valli.

This is not the 50's of Chuck, Little Richard and Jerry Lee.  Elvis gets a nod from Sha Na Na's side plopping "Hound Dog" in the middle of their set.  This is broadway kitch not rock 'n' roll and a bit better than Meat Loaf in that regard.  I almost gave this a straight A on familiarity alone, but things started to drag for me around side 3.

Still, there's something I find undeniable about "You're The One That I Want."  The good girl goes bad.  "Summer Night" I also have a perverse love for.  Tell me more?  Did she put up a FIGHT?  Kids love it because of the good clean fun of being bad.  Stockard Channing gets preggers, and Sha Na Na plays on. 

At least nobody dies.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)