Various Artists-Psych Out! (15 Nuggets From The Scene That Spawned Pink Floyd, Starring Donovan, Small Faces, The Move, The Troggs, Kaleidoscope, The Zombies, Procol Harum And More)(2006)


 

Artist: Various Artists (John's Children, The Smoke, Tomorrow, The Attack, The Troggs, The Move, Gordon Jackson, The Small Faces, The In Crowd, Donovan, Kaleidoscope, The Zombies, Procol Harum, Barclay James Harvest, Focus Three)

Title: Psych Out! (15 Nuggets From The Scene That Spawned Pink Floyd, Starring Donovan, Small Faces, The Move, The Troggs, Kaleidoscope, The Zombies, Procol Harum And More)

Label: Mojo Magazine

Format: CD

Cat #: 

Year of Release: 2006

Country and Year of Edition Issue: UK April 2006

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/25/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/15/22 $2.75

Low: $0.55

Median: $1.35

Average: $1.76

High: $3.85

Current low price: $0.59

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 54

Have/Want: 1005/65

Where Sold: Henrico, VA

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: came free with magazine

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: No

My rooms and CD shelves for many years have been littered with Mojo Magazine CD companions.  Currently, it's the only physical magazine I subscribe to having given up my Rolling Stone decades long habit about 10 years ago.  In the naughty aughties I would buy Mojo at my local East Village news stand, take it home, thumb through it and often cast the lovingly compiled CD aside without even taking off the shink wrap. Nowadays, they just toss it in a slipcase but for years I was absentmindedly pulling strips of dried rubbery glue off Mojo Magazine covers that once held the jewel case in place. The shrinkwrap era creates a problem for review when they sell for writeup since they sell as a sealed item.  Unless someone posted a streaming playlist you have to make one yourself.  Psych Out! was so good the shrink was taken off in it's day.  

16 years later, due to last months sale, I've finally gotten around to listening to the rip on my brand new $100 desktop used mac. I'd rather pay a hundred bucks for a used mac that can rip cds, read my hard drive and die in a year or two as opposed to paying $1,500 for a shiny new machine that forces me to add a CD-R drive separate and may very well not read my formatted drives and will probably die just as the 3 year warranty runs out.

The theme for this release was bands that inspired the Freakbeat scene from 1966-8 that birthed Pink Floyd.  From household names like Donovan and The Zombies to things most 60's rock fans know like Small Faces and The Troggs to Psych genre mainstays like The Move and John's Children to the downright obscure even for me.

It was the downright obscure track, "Pools of Blue" by Barclay James Harvest that blew me away and I didn't catch it when this CD was played on that unmemorable Spring day in 2006.  They cranked out many many records on both Harvest and Polydor and lasted for decades, but somehow Barclay James Harvest never made my radar.  I guess this is what they make these compilations for in the first place.  

The link on Youtube to this compilation had 11 of the 15 tracks, so as a public service I have painstakingly linked each of the excellent tracks to the artist name at the top of the page.

Enjoy the fruits of my labor if you dare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks (1975)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)