Megadeth-Risk (1999)

Artist: Megadeth

Title: Risk

Label: Capitol

Format: CD

Cat #: CDP 7243 4 99134 0 0

Year of Release: 1999

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1999

Listed Condition:VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/16/22

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 2/19/22 $2.50

Low: $2.00

Median: $3.00

Average:$3.88

High: $12.00

Current low price: $2.69

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 33

Have/Want: 1333/105

Where Sold: Conroe, TX

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: internet late aughts used

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go: No

Megadeth's foray into Nine Inch Nails-land was kind of boring.  I bought the full Megadeth catalog used en masse toward the end of the aughts, and never realized this was remastered 5 years after it came out with a different cover.

Since there was little or no impression on me when I bought it, I've been listening to this like it is a new record.  The first time was a month ago when it sold with Cryptic Writings which came out a couple years before and had the same non impact on me.  I gave it another pass yesterday and a third as I write this to see if anything sticks.  This album debuted at 16 on the Billboard album chart but only had an 8 week chart run despite several rock radio hits.  The norm for Megadeth was more like 6 months to a year, and Capitol dropped them as the decades changed.

"Crush 'Em" has a riff out of Loverboy bag of tricks (think "Turn Me Loose").  This was a #7 Active Rock Radio Billboard hit.  I guess I wasn't listening to active rock rock radio in 1999 or really ever since the term was coined.  Mustane has said it was the dumbest song they ever did.  I don't know if that is the case, but it is a bit of canned arena fist pumping. "Breadline" and "Insomnia" were also radio hits with videos.  "Breadline" is likeable enough.  It's a bit of a pop song for Megadeth with enough guitar crunch to be credible.

As for the rest, "Wanderlust" is my favorite track on the record, it has a grunge mid-tempo feel with a good rocking ending.  "Seven" has a nice riff and feel.  "The Doctor Is Calling" sounds like a middling Ozzy filler track.  Still, it is heavier than much of the record. "I'll Be There" has an Alice In Chains feel.

Not too excited to listen and compare the remix, despite some changes in song length.

I've already spent more time on this than I ever thought possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)