Guided By Voices-Isolation Drills (2001)


Artist: Guided By Voices

Title: Isolation Drills

Label: TVT Records

Format: CD

Cat #: TVT 2160-2

Year of Release: 2001

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2001

Listed Condition:VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/12/22

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/28/22 NM/NM $9.99

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.75

Average:$5.21

High: $14.46

Current low price: $2.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 28

Have/Want: 872/55

Where Sold: Washington, MO

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When Bought: Sounds St Marks NYC new 

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

This week I'm cat sitting my friend and ABOG co-hort James place in Queens and writing up some titles that were sold on CD that I haven't had a chance to hear yet.  Good timing since my desktop at home died and I can't play rips off my hard drive until I replace it.  

One of James biggest influences is Guided By Voices, so lo and behold, this title jumped out at me straight away to write about.  Like Dylan in the Planet Waves Columbia to Asylum and back again, GBV jumped to TVT from Matador for a couple records before heading back from whence they came.  The TVT era was slightly more "commercial" in terms of mastering.  Less lo-fi, more radio friendly compression.  The music wasn't radically different otherwise.

Comically, the opening cut "Fair Touching" sounds very much like a James Rocket song, so kudos to synchronicity.

The songs I remember most were plopped in the middle of the album.  Maybe they were most liked by my carousel cd changer in the early aughts, but "Glad Girls" is by far the best track on the album.  I never knew the title thinking it was "that girl" or even "fat girls."  Now that I know, well, maybe I like the idea of a singular lady or a morbidly obese one with a singular purpose.  "Run Wild" which comes right after that is the other one that I remember well from the time.

The rest of the record is what you'd expect from a commercial radio GBV production made for mass acceptance one last time before going back to what made them Rolling Stone-worthy in the first place.  "Want One?" is a Big Star sounding anomaly that is pretty good.

Decent overall if not life altering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)