Sammy-Kings of the Inland Empire (1994)


Artist: Sammy

Title: Kings of the Inland Empire

Label: Smells Like Records

Format: CD EP

Cat #: SLR 013

Year of Release: 1994

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1994

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/11/22

Sell Price: $4.99

Discogs Last Sold: 10/7/21 $5.00

Low: $3.98

Median: $4.99

Average: $6.13

High: $10.00

Current low price: $4.53

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 8

Have/Want: 32/8

Where Sold: Beverly Hills, CA

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: Sounds NYC used around release

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C

Sad To See It Go:  No

Pavement wanna-be band where 2 of their releases actually made their way into my collection.  I think I got the major label one in a dollar bin, but this one I straight up bought used at used market rate around 5 or 6 bucks at Sounds or maybe Kims.  I'm pretty sure there was some sort of Smell Like/Sonic Youth completism going on with me at that time.  I'm really trying to piece a period where I cared enough to spend my limited music budget on Sammy despite being an active DJ on WFDU's overnight where I know for certain they had it in rotation.  Maybe I bought it before they had it, or maybe I (gasp) liked it enough to buy it as a curated must have.  Was I that much a slave to tertiary indie rock in my mid-20's?  I don't think Sammy was a band anyone I knew was particularly excited about, least of all me.

The opening song, "Inland Empire,"  I remembered right away, which was a shocker having remembered nothing about Sammy, except they sounded like Pavement.  I guess they were alright at what they did.  As I give this a second pass while writing this, I hear some quality in it.  A lyric like "Eileen.  Why So Mean?  Eileen...." has it's charms.

Alright is better than alot of things.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)