R.E.M.-Document (1987)


 

Artist: R.E.M.

Title: Document

Label: IRS

Format: CD

Cat #: IRSD-42059

Year of Release: 1987

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1987 BMG Music Club

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/12/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 1/6/22 $4.00

Low: $1.00

Median: $2.00

Average: $3.14

High: $6.84

Current low price: $0.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 24

Have/Want: 293/87

Where Sold: Washington, MO

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Thinking about it, I never actually bought Document, ever.  I had everything before it at that time and a few after I bought for a dollar a piece a decade out.   That doesn't mean I didn't hear the album start to finish 8 million times.  I even saw the tour in Worcester coming back from Boston after an afternoon Sonic Youth concert.  REM were one of those bands I tacitly accepted while other people around me, whether mainstream or "alternative" loved them in the 80's.  

The supervisor at my high school Friendly's job working grill, the recently passed Carl Lott, played this cassette incessantly while I worked the fountain.  At the time, REM made the jump to the uber-mainstream with "The One I Love" and "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" which couldn't be escaped in any capacity, even if one tried, like I did.  So over and over Document played throughout 1987 and into 1988, while I scooped cones and made Fribbles (TM).

The song that always stood out for me back then was "Exhuming McCarthy."  McCarthy-ISM was universally America's post-WWII blackest stain to any free-thinker in those conservative times.  Who could ever expose this better than the stately obscurest form Georgia, Michael Stipe.  Kudos for him for sneaking it into mass media consciousness as a filler track to the masses.

On today's headphone listen, the track after it was the big stand out "Disturbance At The Heron House."  Nice melody, pretty vocal, you can't dance to it.  My pick to click for the record.  Oddly enough, that was the cut on the first side of the cassette I heard 8 million times that I had least recollection of.  Maybe my brain just turned off, or maybe the cassette was flipped over to go straight to the hits while I was distracted by a line going out the window of people who wanted their ice cream.  Maybe both, I often rolled solo on the window, dodging the waitresses topping their own sundaes outside the grill area.

The cuts after "The One I Love" also didn't ring a hard bell the way the opening salvo of side one's opening tracks did,  but they all had a ring of familiarity.  Maybe the tape player was shut off after "The One I Love" and WAAF turned back on to crank up Zep, Skynyrd, Seger and the new single by Michael Bolton, "The Dock Of The Bay."  

Those were busy times.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)