Jaco Pastorius-The Birthday Concert (1995)


 

Artist: Jaco Pastorius

Title: The Birthday Concert

Label: Warner Bros.

Format: CD

Cat #: 9 45290-2

Year of Rele ase: 1995

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1995 BMG Club Edition

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/25/22

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 11/18/20 $2.99

Low: $1.50

Median: $2.49

Average: $2.99

High: $2.99

Current low price: $6.17

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 1

Have/Want: 30/10

Where Sold: Henrico, VA

Time it took to sell: 7 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

You might as well experience Jaco live as opposed to being under the yoke of 70's fusion production standards.  This 1981 recording on his 30th Birthday with his Mom in attendance sounds like live jazz to me.  I can't really review jazz beyond sound and time, some things I prefer to other things.  I didn't mind Weather Report releases, but I never dug deep on Jaco.  This came from a consignment collection that was bought from a record club, so even the original buyer of this may have considered this a curio for the uninitiated.

Since I tend toward bop and free and even early traditional Dixieland over fusion, I'm only going to say the big band sometimes obliterates my brain.   Weather Reports "Punk Jazz" from Mr. Gone in 1978 doesn't trot out distorted guitars, but somebody at Rhino liked it enough as a selling point to make it the title of a Jaco career retrospective.  

I guess this as good a place as any to get an idea of what Jaco was about in a live setting, I'm more than a bit curious the hear the retrospective and go back to some Weather Report.  It blows my mind that he died in a bar fight at 35 in 1987.  He does a nice "America The Beautiful" retitled "Amerika" that would fit next to Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner."  

At least he got a "Happy Birthday" seranade.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)