Animal Collective-Strawberry Jam (2007)


 

Artist: Animal Collective

Title: Strawberry Jam

Label: Domino

Format: CD

Cat #: WIGCD199

Year of Release: 2007

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2007 Trifold digipak

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 1/24/22

Sell Price: $4.49

Discogs Last Sold: 1/7/22 $10.77 M/M

Low: $1.32

Median: $4.47

Average: $4.59

High: $10.77

Current low price: $2.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 64

Have/Want: 1131/182

Where Sold: Jacksonville, FL

Time it took to sell: 1 year, 3 months 

Where and When Bought: The Fountain Collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: D+

Sad To See It Go: No

I remember, sometime in the naughty aughties, my friend Jimmy telling me of a new band he liked named Animal Collective.  Something about wearing costumes stuck in my head, perhaps it was a live experience I somehow never caught.  Something to file with the equally annoying of Montreal.  I didn't take it any further.

Sure enough, one of the records Fountain gave me in his CD box in a moving purge contained an immaculate condition digipack trifold copy of Strawberry Jam from 2007.  This was their 5th release.  Looking at the discography, the one I previously heard and promptly forgot about was Sung Tongs from a few years before this.  Strawberry Jam was the first Animal Collective album to chart the Billboard 200, peaking at 72 in it's debut week, before making top 20 debuts in 2009 with Merriweather Post Pavilion and 2012 with Centipede Hz.  They still have some commercial clout as they were #20 on the Livestream chart in 2020.  I've managed to blissfully ignore it all.

So I plopped myself in on a "new band" that is damn near 20 years old to see what I could see.  I listened on speakers and again in headphones and am streaming this as I write to see if anything sticks besides a general annoyance.  Why do I dislike this band?  Normally, my tastes are in lock step with Fountain over decades, so I wanted to give this the benefit of my deep seeded doubt.  I think it boils down to my dislike of the vocals and the quasi-Beach Boys reoccurring oohs sound more in place in an Ikea ad than my personal audio setup.  The opener sonically kicked off admirably with "Peacebone"  with a single spoken word Bonefish and a worthy industrial spew, but things deteriorate with a "You Make My Dreams" style Hall & Oates synth throb meeting said vocalist that alternates between smarm and falsetto.  Throw in Devo whip and the aforementioned Beach Boys, and you have the ungodly stew of annoyance with 8 more tracks to go.

Probably the cut I liked the most was "Winter Wonderland" which he at least gives me a choice not to believe in "Fantasy" or "Happiness" not to mention rain or death.  This made the Ikea-Beach Boy chorals  less offensive.  This is Gen Y's stamp on humanity.

File Under IINO: Indie In Name Only.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)