Skinner Pilot-This Parking Lot Is Being Videotaped (1996)


 

Artist: Skinner Pilot

Title: This Parking Lot Is Being Videotaped

Label: Good Sin Records

Format: CD

Cat #: gsin 004

Year of Release: 1996

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1996

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

buyer comment: it's cool the cd was cheap and all but very good condition is a big lie. cracks, faded and broken case

Note: I don't grade CD cases so I'm not perpetuating "the big lie"

Sell Date: 10/5/21

Sell Price: $2.99
 
Discogs Last Sold: never prior

Low: $2.99

Median: $2.99

Average: $2.99

High: $2.99

Current low price:$3.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 3

Have/Want: 4/5

Where Sold: Fort Wayne, IN

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: Venus $5 for I think $3 

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C-

Sad To See It Go: No

Extremely difficult album to write about.  I've listened to it about 4 times since it sold last October both in headphones and over desktop speakers.  A band like this wouldn't exist without a NYC scene that liked Sonic Youth in the '90's.

This band came to my attention from my friend Mark Maloof, who was friend with Liz Sharp who spent time in the excellent New Radiant Storm King and also went on to be the one-woman Ill Ease thoughout the aughts.  Maybe I met her, she seemed like a cool drummer, I seem to recall she played everything.  So I saw them a few times in the mid 90's probably at the Knitting Factory or The Cooler.  For a live duo I liked them fine.  

This particular CD had a Venus sticker on it and if I recall, I found it in the $5 bin a couple years after seeing them regularly and  was surprised they had a full length out.   This record sounds young, with some squiggle squonk and wayward screaming coupled with a Kim Gordon (of course) bray.  Not that that is a bad thing, but the album was either grating or lacking in some crucial way.  Trying to give it repeated listens over time didn't help this one or give me anything interesting to say about it

Harmonics, distant poetics, no-wave ambience.  Sharp's a good drummer and went on to being the star, Andrew Zarou showed up on a Macha track in the late 90's.  I don't know if he did anything else. 

Makes me want to listen to Ill Ease to get a feel for the evolution over time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)