Mogwai-Every Country's Sun (2017)


 

Artist:  Mogwai

Title: Every Country's Sun

Label: Temporary Residence Limited

Format: CD

Cat #: TRR291CD

Year of Release: 2017

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 2017

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 12/28/21

Sell Price: $5.99

Discogs Last Sold: 7/21/21 M/M $8.99

Low: $2.99

Median: $5.99

Average: $6.89

High: $14.50

Current low price: $4.68

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13

Have/Want: 186/49

Where Sold: Minneapolis, MN

Time it took to sell: 1 year

Where and When Bought: The Fountain Collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C

Sad To See It Go: No

Mogwai is one of those bands everybody likes and I don't.  This was part of the box of indie CD's my friend Jimmy was purging that the used store on Carmine wouldn't take.  Shockingly new in it's 2017 release date.  This is perhaps the newest title I've written about to date.

As for this specific album, it's a more ambient keyboard driven version of what I liked about the band Trans Am.  In headphones this is annoying.  You get one vocal track, "Party In The Dark" and everything else is a variation of the UK distillation of Albini's Chicago meets Eno or something like that.

Sometimes there are good rocking moments.  More rocking that the moments I witnessed live maybe 10-15 years ago.  That was not a show to witness after a long work day.  The dramatic pauses seemed like an eternity.  

I woke up at 4 in the morning after falling asleep to this and got a full headphone listen before the alarm went off.  I'm streaming it again now as I write this.  It had it's "this part is good" moments, so I can't say this Mogwai album is a total dog, and maybe if I invested the time of multiple listens I would say this is a C+ or B- record.

Post rock in need of rocking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)