Mary Lou Lord/Sean Na Na-Mary Lou Lord/Sean Na Na (1999)


 \

Artist: Mary Lou Lord/Sean Na Na

Title:  Mary Lou Lord/Sean Na Na

Label: Kill Rock Stars

Format: CD EP

Cat #: KRS 350

Year of Release: 1999

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1999

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 12/8/21

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 10/15/21 $3.98

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.36

Average: $3.38

High: $5.63

Current low price: $1.90

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 14

Have/Want: 78/25

Where Sold: Minneapolis, MN

Time it took to sell: 8 years

Where and When Bought: mail order new on the internet when it came out

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

I bought this release straight up new retail when it came out.  This was around the time Mary Lou got "dropped like an egg" from Sony and when Rubric started up and I eventually put out a couple releases by her.  

I'm pretty biased on all things Mary Lou having known her since around 1989 or so and I feel as if I should give everything she does an A+.  That said, I never liked her cover of Janice Martin's "Bang Bang."  It's not that she doesn't do a good job, or that it didn't seem a fun one off, or the Raging Teens (who Rubric also put out) wasn't an able backing rockabilly combo.  Guitarist Miss Amy always rips on her leads.  I guess I just felt it was a weird fit for her.  It might've even made my skin crawl at the time, although now it doesn't bother me.   Some people like orange sauce on their duck.  I feel like such a fascist to artistry saying this.

Mary Lou does a couple from her standard songbook writers Lucinda Williams and Nick Saloman.  I had  Mary Lou's take on "Hard Road" going through my head today after listening to this a couple days ago.  Good ole Bill that lovable lump.  I was so certain "Aim Low" was released by the Bevis Frond on North Circular or Vavona Burr, but I can't find any evidence of him releasing it at all.  Suddenly I had a fuzzy memory of Mary Lou saying it was a discarded song he had that she liked but now I'm wondering if I am even making that memory up.  I feel like I can hear Nick singing that one, but maybe I'm just piecing it together in my head.  Reminds me that I've got to put some time into his new Little Eden.

As for Sean Na Na, well Sean Tillman, had some decent cuts here.  I know I had a Calvin Krime CD from his AmRep years and witnessed the atrocity that was Har Mar Superstar after this a few times.  Actually maybe it wasn't an atrocity, just of it's day. But he has kept it up cranking shit out the last couple decades with a new one from last year called Roseville.   So as for these 3 songs from 1999, I liked 2 of them.  Dancing around the casket and his cover of fellow Mpls songwriter Lucky Jeremy, "My Old France."

I'd rather forgo the orange sauce, but if the chef insists that it is really crucial to the integrity of the duck recipe,  I will oblige.

Cast offs for a split release had different meaning to the artists involved.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)