L L Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)


 

Artist: L L Cool J

Title: Mama Said Knock You Out

Label: Def Jam/Columbia

Format: CD

Cat #: CK 46888

Year of Release: 1990

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1990

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 

Sell Price: $3.99

Discogs Last Sold: 
2/4/21 NM/NM $7.00

Low: $1.00

Median: $3.96

Average: $3.70

High: $7.00

Current low price: $2.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 3

Have/Want: 140/96

Where Sold: Laurinburg, NC

Time it took to sell: 8 years

Where and When Bought: Newbury Comics Boston new upon release

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

At this time I though it may very well be LL's best start to finish album, or at least tied with Walking With A Panther, although neither had anything to top "Rock The Bells" and my all-time short list favorite "I Need A Beat."   Radio is the only album I'd put in the 'A' tier from LL, even if Walking With A Panther and this might be close but in the end in came down to solid in my overall view for a start to finish listen after a few decades gone by.   I didn't think he perfected the love jam until the "Doin' It"  duet which I didn't even realize was him when first  I heard it on a long bus trip layover somewhere in western PA in the 90's.

Certain cuts on  Mama Said Knock You Out stood out in my head from a few decades ago.  The hits of course were the title track and the more pop love jam  "Around The Way Girl."  The one I always think about was "Milky Cereal."  That one is still my favorite here.

As for the rest, well the opener "The Boomin' System" is the ode to the low end. and that sorta stuck over time.  "Illegal Search" is the one that rose in stature for me today. A time eternal nod to a friend in NJ that got pulled over and subject to the subject.   LL was too busy touring to be criminally minded.  He wanted to be at the pinnacle and host the Grammys after taking home all the awards.  He straddled hardcore and pop, but not gangsta in the pre hip-hop rap era better than anybody at the start of the 90's before The Chronic altered things for good.

Milk. Cereal.  Milk.  Cereal........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)