Cop Shoot Cop-Suck City (1992)


 

Artist: Cop Shoot Cop

Title: Suck City

Label: Interscope/Atlantic/Big Cat

Format: CD EP

Cat #: 96116-2

Year of Release: 1992

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1992

Listed Condition: VG+/VG

Sell Date: 11/6/21

Sell Price: $4.99

Discogs Last Sold: 7/24/21 $4.99 VG+/VG+

Low: $2.11

Median: $5.00

Average: $5.44

High: $11.00

Current low price:$3.75

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 13

Have/Want: 125/27

Where Sold: Renton, WA

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: consignment collection

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

Cop Shoot Cop releases came and went through the first half of the 90's. Some I bought, some I ignored, some I played the station copy on the radio without buying.  Money was tight when I first moved to NYC in '92, and completism wasn't happening during Cop Shoot Cop's release era the way it might have been a few years before or after.  The Piece Man 7" splattered with pigs blood and the Consumer Revolt CD were big records for me, but I somehow ignored everything else until I was given the Ask Questions Later CD shortly after the release of this EP.  

For whatever reason, I never got this EP and don't even remember if it made the rotation at WFDU despite the fact it had to be promoed and certainly had the indie credibility to be added.  My brain always thought this was some sort of pre-release to Ask Questions Later and never internalized these 4 tracks.  This copy that sold was part of a consignment collection, so I get around $2.50 net when all is said and done for this $5 sale.  Considering the era, and how much listened to Consumer Revolt (and of course the all important "Disconnected 666"), I was shock at how little I remembered the contents of Suck City.  Had it graced my fingertips in the cheap CD bin, I suspect I would have bought it.  Maybe I was just waiting for that day that never came.  I expected a over pressed major label CD EP to be found cheaply in the 90's.  Hell, most second tier indie club bands made the $5 and under bin back then. NYC's used stores were flooded with critics throwaways and promo lists were often 700 deep for radio and press, probably more at Interscope.  

The 4 tracks themselves sound like great trash can oil rock for those who would not forgo Swans or Foetus.  Cop Shoot Cop were in the conversation with this realm for sure, and these four tracks didn't sacrifice much going into the major label sphere.  After a few listens I'd say I liked the title track best.

It must be duly noted that I made a rare post-Reverse Collector purchase of Phil Puleo & J.F. Coleman's new band Human Impact, which I bought at their show in Brooklyn right before lockdown last year because I straight up wanted to listen to it before it was in cyberspace.

This EP held up 28 years later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)