The Beatles-The Beatles' Second Album (1964)

 

Artist: The Beatles

Title: The Beatles' Second Album

Label: Capitol

Format: LP

Cat #: T-2080

Year of Release: 1964

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1964 Mono First Press, Scranton Pressing

Listed Condition: VG/VG

Sell Date: 9/10/21

Sell Price: $6.99

Discogs Last Sold: 8/17/21 $5.00 F/G

Low: $0.66

Median: $5.00

Average: $5.90

High: $16.98

Current low price: $3.00 F, $4.00 G/G+, VG/VG $8.00

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 84

Have/Want: 4151/232

Where Sold: Lafayette, LA

Time it took to sell: 6 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester MA 1981 used Al Bums $5.99

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A+

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Proof that no matter how you shuffle it, the Beatles, hands down, have the greatest discography in all of music history.  In the United States, this album had historical significance as the Beatles second CAPITOL album after Vee Jay got Introducing The Beatles to sop up the sales of Meet The Beatles before Capitol got their claws into the material by the end of the year.

6 years before I was born, this was the second number one Billboard album of the Beatles and until 1987's CD "back to the UK editions" movement, had it's sway in Americas psyche and mine. Yet it still stood in the shadows of Meet The Beatles in the singles era.   6 out of 11 tracks are covers including the kick off Chuck Berry cover "Roll Over Beethoven."  A cover so thick you could almost say they improved on the original.  

The other covers ranged from luminaries like Little Richard ("Long Tall Sally") and Smokey Robinson ("You Really Got A Hold On Me") to the lesser known Barrett Strong ("Money") and girl groups The Marvelettes ("Please Mr. Postman) and The Donays ("Devil In Her Heart").  A fine survey of the records that hit the Liverpool docks from the states.

I had the indie Label single on Swan  of "She Loves You" b/w "I'll Get You" that closes side 2 B-side first.  With it, I also received a Canadian copy of "Roll Over Beethoven" backed with "Please Mr. Postman" passed down by my mother to me in the 70's.  I bought my copy of The Beatles' Second Album very shortly after Lennon was shot when I was still 10.  His death seemed to up the ante of importance of a discography that seemingly was put to bed once and for all.

In Lennon's lifetime I got Meet The Beatles! passed down from my Aunt to me at age 3, the aforementioned singles and the Rock 'n' Roll Music compilation I saw a TV ad for when I was 6.  My childhood friend had Sgt. Pepper and Something New! as well as the "Lady Madonna"/"The Inner Light" single.   My 4th grade teacher brought in Abbey Road on 8-track.  Don't get me started about getting the Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band soundtrack in 1978 and not believing my father when he told me every single song was written by the Beatles.  That fact just wasn't possible for my 8 year old brain to wrap around, until I looked at the songwriting credits.

In 1981 everything I didn't have, Beatles and solo recordings, was fair game for completist catch up.

Then it was on to bootlegs until the Anthology series and the internet spoiled everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)