Oasis-Definitely Maybe (1994)

 


Artist: Oasis

Title: Definitely Maybe

Label: Epic

Format: CD

Cat #: 
EK 66431

Year of Release: 1994

Country and Year of Edition Issue: US 1994

Listed Condition: VG+/VG+

Sell Date: 8/14/21

Sell Price: $2.99

Discogs Last Sold: 5/26/21 $1.50 VG/VG+

Low: $1.17

Median: $2.87

Average: $2.72

High: $4.00

Current low price: $2.40

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 21

Have/Want: 468/192

Where Sold: Hazlet, NJ

Time it took to sell: 10 years

Where and When Bought: internet 90's for 75 cents on half.com

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B

Sad To See It Go: No

Oasis are one of those bands I initially wanted nothing to do with, even when my friend John deemed Morning Glory excellent back when it was new.  There was something about it that just sounded too commercial and boring to me.  For whatever reason, I decided I needed to get their discography at some point in the mid aughts, when every title in the catalog could be had for under a dollar (plus shipping) on cd via the internet.

This 1994 debut from the Gallagher brothers is solid in terms of loud gated "post-grunge" guitars and anthemic Brit-pop vocals.  I somehow never listened to this beyond an initial listen in the background back then.  The guitars stand out a little better and the lack of electronic drum or synthesizer elements is refreshing for a "pop" recording artist.  

So with the exception of "Shakermaker" and maybe "Slide Away," none of these songs stood out for me as anything I've heard in peripheral life the way it's successor dominated the ambience and captured the hearts of the world.  The template is here, but a couple start-to-finish listens haven't made me want to "know" this record.  I'm giving them more rope than George Harrison!

With this band I actually prefer familiarity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)